POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Povray optimization on G5 : Re: Povray optimization on G5 Server Time
1 Jul 2024 13:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray optimization on G5
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 3 Feb 2005 11:52:38
Message: <420256d6$1@news.povray.org>
> With the default build I get 39 minitues in the average(3 runs)
>
> With the 'G5 optimized' build (basically it is -fast without -fcgse) I get
> 35 minutes in the average(3 runs).

	Interesting.  But also a bit disappointing.  I thought a G5 clocked
at 2 GHz would give a much faster benchmark.  Here you basically get the same
score (even slightly slower) than an AMD Athlon XP 2400+, which architecture
is more than 3 years older.
	But that's most likely the compiler is not good enough for the G5 yet.

 > The Mac OSX GUI Version is somewhat (~2min) faster. Was it compiled with gcc?
 > I assume not!

	Thorsten will better answer than me, but the speed increase may also
be due to the Mac-specific just-in-time compiler that is used for the function
virtual machine, and that you don't get with the Unix version.

	- NC