POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling POV-Ray 3.1g on Mac OS X Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:53:52 EDT (-0400)
  Compiling POV-Ray 3.1g on Mac OS X (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Anton Raves
Subject: Compiling POV-Ray 3.1g on Mac OS X
Date: 2 May 2004 03:27:09
Message: <4094a2cc@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I'm trying to get a text only version of POV-Ray 3.1g to work under Mac
OS X because all of my textures, lighting etc have been setup for that
version, changing them to a newer (3.5 or 3.6) version would take me
too much time and I would like to leave Classic behind me. I've already
installed XCode 1.1 and downloaded the 3.1g sources but then the
absence of compiler knowledge hits me...

I did manage to change the CFLAGS line into:

# Mac OS X compiler flags, Altivec optimized
CFLAGS       = -faltivec -c -ansi $(SRCINC) $(LIBPNGINC) $(ZLIBINC)

Entering "make newunix" in the unix-subdirectory starts compiling
things nicely now, but then I get the following status reported back to
me:

gcc ./atmosph.o ./bbox.o ./bcyl.o ./bezier.o ./blob.o ./boxes.o
/bsphere.o ./camera.o ./chi2.o ./colour.o ./cones.o ./csg.o ./discs.o
/express.o ./fractal.o ./gif.o ./gifdecod.o ./hcmplx.o ./hfield.o
/iff.o ./image.o ./interior.o ./lathe.o ./lbuffer.o ./lighting.o
/matrices.o ./media.o ./mem.o ./mesh.o ./normal.o ./objects.o
/octree.o ./optin.o ./optout.o ./parse.o ./parstxtr.o ./pattern.o
/pgm.o ./pigment.o ./planes.o ./png_pov.o ./point.o ./poly.o
/polygon.o ./polysolv.o ./povray.o ./ppm.o ./prism.o ./quadrics.o
/quatern.o ./rad_data.o ./radiosit.o ./ray.o ./render.o ./sor.o
/spheres.o ./super.o ./targa.o ./texture.o ./tokenize.o ./torus.o
/triangle.o ./truetype.o ./txttest.o ./userio.o ./vbuffer.o
/vlbuffer.o ./warps.o  ./unix.o -L../libpng -lpng -L../zlib -lz -lm -o
povray

ld: can't locate file for: -lpng
make[1]: *** [povray] Error 1
make: [newunix] Error 2 (ignored)

I assume that libpng needs to be compiled as does zlib, but I haven't
been able to get them to work, could someone help me out on this...?

Many thanks in advance,
  Anton Raves
  Wormerveer
  Netherlands