POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling POV-Ray 3.1g on Mac OS X : Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.1g on Mac OS X Server Time
5 Jul 2024 12:48:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.1g on Mac OS X
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 7 May 2004 02:47:07
Message: <409b30eb$1@news.povray.org>
In article <409aa467$1@news.povray.org> , David Burnett
<var### [at] ntlworldcom>  wrote:

> GCC 3.3 may be Apple's latest version however GCC 3.4 compiles on OSX
> out of the box.

Yes, but "compiles on OSX out of the box" ignores all the bug fixes and
additional features Apple added that did not make it through the FSF process
or are simply made impossible or delayed by the gcc maintainers out of pure
ignorance.  As such, using the main branch of gcc on Mac OS X does more bad
than good. <sigh>

> options are the same as I can't figure out how to get it to
> use an ini file.

You specify the INI file in the big field called "command-line" :-)

> Does the Beta have debugging code in that might slow it down ?

You cannot compare 3.5 and 3.6 because certain bug fixes and changes to
anti-aliasing change render times (on all platforms).  As such, any
comparison between 3.5 and 3.6 regard render times are impossible.  Sorry!

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde