POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling POV-Ray 3.1g on Mac OS X : Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.1g on Mac OS X Server Time
5 Jul 2024 13:53:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.1g on Mac OS X
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 May 2004 05:09:30
Message: <4094baca$1@news.povray.org>
In article <4094a2cc@news.povray.org> , Anton Raves <ant### [at] antonravescom>
wrote:

> ld: can't locate file for: -lpng
> make[1]: *** [povray] Error 1
> make: [newunix] Error 2 (ignored)
>

> I assume that libpng needs to be compiled as does zlib, but I haven't
> been able to get them to work, could someone help me out on this...?

Well, this is indeed a problem on Mac OS X as it does not come with many
typical Unix packages that come with most other Unix systems.  So there are
two ways to solve this: You either compile and install libpng, or you get it
from the Fink project.  The easiest thing is to get libpng and do the
./configure and make drill.  IIRC at least current versions of libpng build
out of the box on Mac OS X, so you should eb able to just use the current
version rather than the older version that comes with POV-Ray 3.1.  Once
that is done, POV-Ray should build, but probably it will not be very fast if
build with gcc...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde