POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : DAZ Studio beta available Server Time: 26 Jan 2020 12:24:18 GMT
  DAZ Studio beta available (Message 1 to 10 of 12)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: DAZ Studio beta available
Date: 15 Apr 2004 08:08:10
Message: <407e42ea$1@news.povray.org>
For those who want to test the first alternative to Poser:
http://secure.daz3d.com/studio/index.php?&refid=74741692

G.

-- 

**********************
http://www.oyonale.com
**********************
- Graphic experiments
- POV-Ray and Poser computer images
- Posters


Post a reply to this message

From: John D  Gwinner
Subject: Re: DAZ Studio beta available
Date: 15 Apr 2004 23:54:02
Message: <407f209a@news.povray.org>
Cool, I'm downloading now.

        == John ==

"Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote in message
news:407e42ea$1@news.povray.org...
> For those who want to test the first alternative to Poser:
> http://secure.daz3d.com/studio/index.php?&refid=74741692
>
> G.
>
> -- 
>
> **********************
> http://www.oyonale.com
> **********************
> - Graphic experiments
> - POV-Ray and Poser computer images
> - Posters
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Re: DAZ Studio beta available
Date: 16 Apr 2004 02:51:52
Message: <407f4a48@news.povray.org>
Uh, there's an empty scene when i load up the program. I may eventually
stumble across the solution, but shouldn't I find an actual figure somewhere
in there??

"Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote in message
news:407e42ea$1@news.povray.org...
> For those who want to test the first alternative to Poser:
> http://secure.daz3d.com/studio/index.php?&refid=74741692
>
> G.
>
> -- 
>
> **********************
> http://www.oyonale.com
> **********************
> - Graphic experiments
> - POV-Ray and Poser computer images
> - Posters
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: DAZ Studio beta available
Date: 16 Apr 2004 08:25:29
Message: <407f9879$1@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" <gregj;-)565### [at] aolcom> a écrit dans le message de
news:407f4a48@news.povray.org...
> Uh, there's an empty scene when i load up the program. I may eventually
> stumble across the solution, but shouldn't I find an actual figure
somewhere
> in there??

DAZ is in the business of selling models so it's sort of understandable that
they didn't provide a model for free, and their potential customers are
Poser users who already have models anyway. It could have been difficult
indeed to give a free model good enough to be usable and representative of
the quality of DAZ models, but yet not a competition for their own models.
Of course, for people like you who are new to the Poser world, a startup
model would be nice. Perhaps you can grab one of the free copies of Poser 3
that are given in magazines.

G.

-- 

**********************
http://www.oyonale.com
**********************
- Graphic experiments
- POV-Ray and Poser computer images
- Posters


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: DAZ Studio beta available
Date: 19 Apr 2004 15:38:45
Message: <4083f285$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> For those who want to test the first alternative to Poser:
> http://secure.daz3d.com/studio/index.php?&refid=74741692
> 
> G.
> 
I gave it a quick look.  Nice usable interface.  It imported my poser 
files just fine but I see that the export function is grayed out?  Does 
not bode well for this being a free product?


Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: DAZ Studio beta available
Date: 20 Apr 2004 21:27:34
Message: <408595c6$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> a écrit dans le message de
news:4083f285$1@news.povray.org...
> I gave it a quick look.  Nice usable interface.  It imported my poser
> files just fine but I see that the export function is grayed out?  Does
> not bode well for this being a free product?

It's grayed out for me too. I couldn't find a mention of this problem in the
DAZ and Renderosity forums, apart someone who noticed it too. Hardcore Poser
users are rarely interested with exporting their models though.
As obj export is listed in the documentation, I guess that it's not
implemented yet. Given the terrible experience I had with file exports in
other software, I'm willing to let them all the time they need to make sure
it's working fine...

Like you said, the interface is fine and usable and does better than Poser
in some areas, particularly the object selection and the object hierachies,
which are similar to the ones found in other modern software. It's horribly
slow in some cases though (I can hardly make Vicky move) and some people are
loudly complaining about this and problems typical of betas. I'm wondering
if these are the same who were loudly complaining about Poser 5 some time
ago...

Also it turned Poser 5's Judy character into a Francis Bacon figure gone
through a shredder. Impressive :)

G.

-- 
**********************
http://www.oyonale.com
**********************
- Graphic experiments
- POV-Ray and Poser computer images
- Posters


Post a reply to this message

From: Dan P
Subject: Re: DAZ Studio beta available
Date: 21 Apr 2004 01:51:07
Message: <4085d38b$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:

> Gilles Tran wrote:
> 
>> For those who want to test the first alternative to Poser:
>> http://secure.daz3d.com/studio/index.php?&refid=74741692
>>
>> G.
>>
> I gave it a quick look.  Nice usable interface.  It imported my poser 
> files just fine but I see that the export function is grayed out?  Does 
> not bode well for this being a free product?

It is great to see competition in that area.
It will only make BOTH products better in the end!
-- 
Respectfully,
Dan P
http://<broken link>


Post a reply to this message

From: John D  Gwinner
Subject: Re: DAZ Studio beta available
Date: 24 Apr 2004 16:09:19
Message: <408a912f$1@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
news:408595c6$1@news.povray.org...

> Also it turned Poser 5's Judy character into a Francis Bacon figure gone
> through a shredder. Impressive :)

That COULD be on purpose :( but let's hope it's a bug.  Have they said if P5
compatibility will be a given?

        == John ==


Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: DAZ Studio beta available
Date: 24 Apr 2004 16:51:26
Message: <408a9b0e@news.povray.org>
"John D. Gwinner" <joh### [at] cornelledu> a écrit dans le message de
news:408a912f$1@news.povray.org...
>
> "Gilles Tran" <gitran_nospam_@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> news:408595c6$1@news.povray.org...
>
> > Also it turned Poser 5's Judy character into a Francis Bacon figure gone
> > through a shredder. Impressive :)
>
> That COULD be on purpose :( but let's hope it's a bug.  Have they said if
P5
> compatibility will be a given?

I think they say somewhere that there no complete P5 compatibility. From my
brief tests, it looks that "pure" P5 models and features aren't supported
but that the P5 files themselves work in DS. For instance, I can read and
open the posed Victoria models saved in P5, but the dynamic clothes are no
longer dynamically posed.

G.



-- 
**********************
http://www.oyonale.com
**********************
- Graphic experiments
- POV-Ray and Poser computer images
- Posters


Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Subject: Re: DAZ Studio beta available
Date: 24 Apr 2004 21:05:54
Message: <408AD6A2.3080500@hotmail.com>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> 
> Also it turned Poser 5's Judy character into a Francis Bacon figure gone
> through a shredder. Impressive :)
Same for me, I also had a file where I used only the hand from
the model. Also completely screwed up. Older models seemed not
to have no problems.

<news flash, just coming in>
I just retried DAZ because also the bugreport did not work the day
before yesterday (how to report that, may I ask :) ). I just found
on page 53 of the DAZ studio help (AKA Studio Artist
Guide) that they do 'not support poser 5 specific file formats or 
functionality'.
</news flash>

I also had sometimes wierd perspectives, as if they take the distance
to the power of something big as the distance. As the bugreport
is working today I will write one.

	Andrel


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.