POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Making Dynamic Poser clothes Server Time
26 Apr 2024 04:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Making Dynamic Poser clothes (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Making Dynamic Poser clothes
Date: 24 Mar 2004 13:50:47
Message: <4061d887$1@news.povray.org>
Please do not post binaries to non-binary groups.

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Dan P
Date: 28 Mar 2004 13:05:24
Message: <406713e4$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> Please do not post binaries to non-binary groups.
>
>     Thorsten

My bad. Next time, I'll post a link to files on my web-site.

--
Respectfully,
Dan P

Post a reply to this message

From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 12 Apr 2004 09:06:02
Message: <407a943a$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks for posting this here, even if it wasn't supposed to be here.  Where
was it supposed to be?  p.b.m?.

I finally got a chance to really look at it this weekend.  While the clothes
were somewhat simple, it gave me a really good starting point, so I played
around with them, modifying things quite a bit in hamapatch, and referring
to this tutorial occasionally
(http://www.poserfashion.net/judy's_period_dress.htm).  It took me awhile to
realize that when you IMPORT the OBJ, or DXF into Poser, you need to "weld"
the polygons.  If you don't, your creation explodes into a thousand pieces
as soon as you run the cloth simulation.

Currently, I'm trying to make a simple dress for Penny, similar to what the
girls are wearing here http://www.beantoad.com/images/moss7.jpg in the front
row.  It looks like a good starting point.  While it's not exactly a simple
process, it appears to be quite possible.  Right now, what I have created
looks a lot like a girl's night-gown.  I'll post some pictures if I ever get
it into a decent state.

One problem: I can't get a decent model of Penny to import into Hamapatch.
I had to export to OBJ (from Poser), then import into a 3rd party utility
(IOB something?) then export as MDL, then import the MDL into hamapatch.
Unfortunately, by that point, Penny was mostly only a torso, with a few
triangles floating around for her head, arms, legs, hands, etc.  Even so, it
gave me something to work with, and was usable to some degree.

From hamapatch, I had to export as a DXF file, which loaded into Poser ok
(the OBJ would not), although sometimes I have to flip normals, and
sometimes I don't.  I don't know what causes that.  Other times, I end up
with missing poly's in the clothes.  Other times, I go to do the cloth
simulation, and I get stuck in an apparently infinite loop while it is
"Creating dynamics".  Unfortunately, exporting and importing non-native
formats from different programs probably isn't an ideal situation.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com

"Dan P" <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

> Well, the only thing I think I have that worked at all (and this was
before
> I read about the chaotic cloth triangle thing) were these two files
> (attached) which made up a dress for an angel I was working on. Because I
> found it so hard to make the cloth, I decided to stop and work on a cloth
> generator. That grew into making a Patch Editor of my own, COLDstitch,
which
> I barely started until I decided I wanted to generate PoserHair with a
> program I called COLDconvert which I stopped to work on my own Installer
> because I'm so ticked at InstallSh-eld for being so damned expensive --
so,
> point is, I never finish anything :-)

Post a reply to this message

> (the OBJ would not), although sometimes I have to flip normals, and
> sometimes I don't.  I don't know what causes that.  Other times, I end up
> with missing poly's in the clothes.  Other times, I go to do the cloth
> simulation, and I get stuck in an apparently infinite loop while it is
> "Creating dynamics".  Unfortunately, exporting and importing non-native
> formats from different programs probably isn't an ideal situation.

For what it's worth, I find that UVMapper Pro does an excellent job when I
have to fix problems on obj files.  It can remove or correct erroneous
polygons,  let you play with the normals etc. I know it's a commercial
product, but it's really handy (even though I now use professional modeling
tools).
Also, the latest Poser 5 patch (SR 4.1) seems to fix some remaining issues
with the dynamic clothes.

G.

--
**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

Post a reply to this message

> > (the OBJ would not), although sometimes I have to flip normals, and
> > sometimes I don't.  I don't know what causes that.  Other times, I end
up
> > with missing poly's in the clothes.  Other times, I go to do the cloth
> > simulation, and I get stuck in an apparently infinite loop while it is
> > "Creating dynamics".  Unfortunately, exporting and importing non-native
> > formats from different programs probably isn't an ideal situation.
>
> For what it's worth, I find that UVMapper Pro does an excellent job when I
> have to fix problems on obj files.  It can remove or correct erroneous
> polygons,  let you play with the normals etc. I know it's a commercial
> product, but it's really handy (even though I now use professional
modeling
> tools).

$50 for UVMapper Pro.  I think I've downloaded it before, but I've never
really done much with it.  I'll have to try the demo again.  $50 isn't so
bad, though.  It would probably help to create realistic textures for the
dresses (or other clothes) that I might create.

> Also, the latest Poser 5 patch (SR 4.1) seems to fix some remaining issues
> with the dynamic clothes.

I didn't realize there was a SR 4.1 patch.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com

Post a reply to this message

"Jeremy M. Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote in message

> One problem: I can't get a decent model of Penny to import into Hamapatch.
> I had to export to OBJ (from Poser), then import into a 3rd party utility
> (IOB something?) then export as MDL, then import the MDL into hamapatch.
> Unfortunately, by that point, Penny was mostly only a torso, with a few
> triangles floating around for her head, arms, legs, hands, etc.  Even so,
it
> gave me something to work with, and was usable to some degree.
>
> From hamapatch, I had to export as a DXF file, which loaded into Poser ok
> (the OBJ would not), although sometimes I have to flip normals, and
> sometimes I don't.  I don't know what causes that.  Other times, I end up
> with missing poly's in the clothes.  Other times, I go to do the cloth
> simulation, and I get stuck in an apparently infinite loop while it is
> "Creating dynamics".  Unfortunately, exporting and importing non-native
> formats from different programs probably isn't an ideal situation.

For the record, I discovered that Wings3D does a good job of importing a 3DS
file and exporting a MDL file, suitable for hamapatch.  In that way, I was
able to load the Penny model into Hamapatch in a very usable way, but it
took several minutes to export and import.

I also noticed that hamapatch doesn't work properly (most of the time) when
I change the "subdivision" value to anything other than 1 when exporting (it
flips normals and leaves out surfaces all over the place).  That's
unfortunate.  That, and it has a tendancy to crash often on my (WinXP)
machine.  :-(

But even so, the relatively simple dress I'm designing seems to look fairly
good.  I've learned so much since starting on it, that I almost wonder if I
shouldn't start it over, though.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com