POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Making Dynamic Poser clothes : Re: Making Dynamic Poser clothes Server Time
4 May 2024 04:11:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Dynamic Poser clothes
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 13 Apr 2004 21:39:51
Message: <407c9667@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy M. Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote in message

> One problem: I can't get a decent model of Penny to import into Hamapatch.
> I had to export to OBJ (from Poser), then import into a 3rd party utility
> (IOB something?) then export as MDL, then import the MDL into hamapatch.
> Unfortunately, by that point, Penny was mostly only a torso, with a few
> triangles floating around for her head, arms, legs, hands, etc.  Even so,
it
> gave me something to work with, and was usable to some degree.
>
> From hamapatch, I had to export as a DXF file, which loaded into Poser ok
> (the OBJ would not), although sometimes I have to flip normals, and
> sometimes I don't.  I don't know what causes that.  Other times, I end up
> with missing poly's in the clothes.  Other times, I go to do the cloth
> simulation, and I get stuck in an apparently infinite loop while it is
> "Creating dynamics".  Unfortunately, exporting and importing non-native
> formats from different programs probably isn't an ideal situation.

For the record, I discovered that Wings3D does a good job of importing a 3DS
file and exporting a MDL file, suitable for hamapatch.  In that way, I was
able to load the Penny model into Hamapatch in a very usable way, but it
took several minutes to export and import.

I also noticed that hamapatch doesn't work properly (most of the time) when
I change the "subdivision" value to anything other than 1 when exporting (it
flips normals and leaves out surfaces all over the place).  That's
unfortunate.  That, and it has a tendancy to crash often on my (WinXP)
machine.  :-(

But even so, the relatively simple dress I'm designing seems to look fairly
good.  I've learned so much since starting on it, that I almost wonder if I
shouldn't start it over, though.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com