POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Realtime POV-Ray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:53 EDT (-0400)
  Realtime POV-Ray (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Cliff Bowman
Subject: Re: Realtime POV-Ray
Date: 29 Aug 1998 12:02:02
Message: <35e81769.5627586@news.povray.org>
On 27 Aug 1998 09:34:05 -0500, par### [at] my-dejanewscom (Ron Parker)
wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:54:55 +0200, SA9### [at] idautbhbse
>        <SA9### [at] idautbhbse> wrote:

>>alt+G to parse the scene. The parser only previews when the code is
>>vaild. Like this:
>
><description omitted>
>
>So if my sphere had a radius of .3625, would it reparse and rerender as I
>deleted the 5, then the 2, then the 6, and finally reparse and decide not to
>render when I deleted the 3?  Doesn't that seem like a lot of parsing?
>Remember, some people have posted their experiences with scene files that
>take _hours_ to parse.
>
>I think if there's gonna be an opengl preview, it has to be done when the
>user asks for it, not automatically.

Of course there's nothing that says parsing/preview can't run in a
seperate thread, and be cancellable. So for each digit you delete in
the above example a parse is started - but if there's a parse already
in progress the existing parse is restarted (or cancelled first) so
you only ever have the "current scene" being parsed.

Modern PC's ought to be able to handle this without significantly
affecting typing speed - unless Windoze gets any slower and/or
bloated.

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/7855/
PS change ".duffnet" to ".net" if replying via e-mail

Post a reply to this message

From: Scott Hill
Date: 2 Sep 1998 11:47:11
Message: <01bdd5be$eec91520$8c00a8c0@shindo>
SA9### [at] idautbhbse wrote in article <35E### [at] idautbhbse>...
> Hi Johannes!

<sniped : description of POVRay OpenGL preview mode that would
automatically update as you typed in script code>

	Yep, this would be very cool, and guess what, it's already on it's way !
You may have read some of my previous posts about the modeler I'm working
on, well this is one of the features I plan to include ! Unfortunately It's
going to be one hell of a long time before it's anywhere need finished (I
had a major rethink about the structure and implementation of it recently,
so things have been put back a very long way)

	Anyway, watch this space...

--
Scott Hill
Sco### [at] DDLinkscouk

"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
exist..."
								- Verbal Kint.

"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
 particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jason Krah
Date: 4 Sep 1998 00:58:32
Message: <35EF6577.B5741A05@fan.net.au>
Im learning GLIDE and C and have currently got a small 3d rendering library
happenen.
My problem is lack of data, since I need to witr my own file import filter I was
considering trying to implement a simple POV importer.

If anyone would be willing to share some code, (not that I have anything anyone
would probably want in return), it could save me alot of hassle tryiong to write a
pov file parser.
(I have never wirtten anything like a this before). If anyone can help me out with
either
thoery or code.. (How do I 'Parse' a file?) it would be greatly appreciated.

When I master GLIDE, and know C well enough to venture into Windoze Apps (I
currently only program console apps due to simplicity) I hope to migrate to OpenGL.

Any advise on importing 3D data or witing a simple modleing app would be great too..

(Thanks for your time since I realise this is not an entirely POV related post.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 4 Sep 1998 01:47:34
Message: <35ef7041.2302805@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 21:11:32 -0700, "K. Tyler" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet>
wrote:

>You do know don't you that the entire source for povray
>is available at their web site:  http://www.povray.org

You do know that POVLEGAL says you can't rip off the parser
from the povray source for your own purposes, right?

Post a reply to this message

From: Scott Hill
Date: 4 Sep 1998 12:43:05
Message: <01bdd7fe$425e8e40$8c00a8c0@shindo>
Jason Krah <jkr### [at] fannetau> wrote in article
<35EF6577.B5741A05@fan.net.au>...
> Im learning GLIDE and C and have currently got a small 3d rendering
library
> happenen.
> My problem is lack of data, since I need to witr my own file import
filter I was
> considering trying to implement a simple POV importer.
>
> If anyone would be willing to share some code, (not that I have anything
anyone
> would probably want in return), it could save me alot of hassle tryiong
to write a
> pov file parser.

	If you find anything, will you let me know, too ? This is the one part of
my modeller I'm not looking forward to writing.
	In the mean-time, as Ken suggested, take a look at the POV source code
(this is what I'll be doing), just remember to also read POVLEGAL and don't
directly rip off the parser code.

From: David Reynolds
Date: 5 Sep 1998 02:11:30
Message: <35F0C7F5.CC8B0883@bellsouth.net>
Besides the PovRay source, there are two other things I have found that
might help
both of you.

The  POB-SDK by Thomas Baier
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/thbaier/pob_sdk.htm

ParPov by Christian Vogelgsang
This is a C++ library that can parse pov files and give you C++ objects.
Its first application is his program pov2rib utility for converting Pov
to renderman rib files.
http://www9.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~cnvogelg/pov2rib/index.html