POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : oddity in media.cpp Server Time
2 Jul 2024 09:41:25 EDT (-0400)
  oddity in media.cpp (Message 20 to 29 of 39)
From: Andrew Clinton
Subject: Re: oddity in media.cpp
Date: 18 Oct 2004 09:33:40
Message: <pan.2004.10.18.13.33.25.64476@uwaterloo.ca>
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 06:14:33 -0400, Warp wrote:

>   What would be the point of having tons of people throwing random thoughts
> and usually just creating endless flamewars about tiny details of the new
> design?

Despite the flame wars, the discussions I was referring to (for your
information, "The language of POV-Ray" and "Pov-Ray 4.0? Wish List.")
seemed to generate some of the best ideas for a major redesign that I have
seen mentioned.  These discussions were not generally about tiny details
of the design, but about large overarching changes to the program that
have the potential to make it better in significant ways.  I don't
understand the motivation for ignoring such discussions just because there
are some ideas that are not to the 'Team's liking.  It's easy enough to
ignore or inform the people who haven't a clue about what they are talking
about, and (discuss / argue / flamewar) with the rest.  At least in this
case there is an outward sign that the Team has an interest in becoming
better informed about the needs of its user base, and also has the
opportunity to show some signs of "life" (if you will), so that users know
that the project is not stagnating.

Of course, if the POV-Team already has a perfect knowledge of the needs of
its users, and a perfect knowledge of how to design a renderer, then there
is no such need for discussion.

Andrew

Post a reply to this message