POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : oddity in media.cpp : Re: oddity in media.cpp Server Time
4 Jul 2024 11:39:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: oddity in media.cpp
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 18 Oct 2004 10:45:04
Message: <cl0kk8$ebj$1@chho.imagico.de>
Andrew Clinton wrote:
> So, when discussions begin for POV-Ray 4.0, will the Team provide an open
> forum for user suggestions?  My vote is for "povray.wishlist".  As a
> programmer, I'm also wondering how you really keep "requirements" and
> "design" seperate.  A discussion of requirements necessitates some degree
> of discussion of feasibility,

No.  As an engineer i can tell you that when planning a new design you
start with the requirements alone.  Limiting the requirements from the
beginning to only require what is feasible will result in no innovation
at all (and i am quite sure this applies for program design as well).
So what you write here to me indicates that you have no idea what
formulating the requirements actually means.

So again my suggestion: if you want to start some discussion helpful for
  future POV-Ray design start with talking about requirements.  The most
useful discussions usually arise from users talking about something they
would like to do but that seems difficult/impossible with current
POV-Ray.  The majority of such postings can of course be answered with
an already existing and well working solution but from time to time you
see things that really hit a weak point.  If you then really try to
formulate what you actually want to do - as concrete as necessary but as
general as possible - you are already half way finished.

A povray.wishlist newsgroup will only result in a lot of feature
suggestions and i have already explained why there is not much use in
proposing features at the beginning.  Everyone who likes to make an 'i
would like feature xxx in POV' should ask himself what he wants feature
xxx for and voila - you are again talking about requirements.  A
separate newsgroup for discussing requirements would only make sense IMO
if the discipline to keep the discussions on-topic is maintained there.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______