POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Mesh2 option for isosurface Server Time
27 Apr 2024 09:12:01 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh2 option for isosurface (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: scott
Subject: Mesh2 option for isosurface
Date: 22 Nov 2007 03:50:27
Message: <474542d3@news.povray.org>
Isosurfaces are slow to render sometimes.

What would be good is if there was an option to render them as a mesh with a
set detail level.

Something like

isosurface
{
  blah
  blah
  blah
  render_mesh 20,10,20
}

Internally the parser would define a 20x10x20 array of points within the
bounding box of the isosurface, and calculate the isosurface value at each
point.  Then an algorithm like marching cubes would be used to generate a
mesh2 object to be rendered instead of the actual isosurface object.

This could be used for fast previews or even final renders if the speed was
good with large array sizes.

Comments?

Post a reply to this message

> Isosurfaces are slow to render sometimes.
>
> What would be good is if there was an option to render them as a mesh
> with a set detail level.
>
> Something like
>
> isosurface
> {
>  blah
>  blah
>  blah
>  render_mesh 20,10,20
> }
>
> Internally the parser would define a 20x10x20 array of points within the
> bounding box of the isosurface, and calculate the isosurface value at
> each point.  Then an algorithm like marching cubes would be used to
> generate a mesh2 object to be rendered instead of the actual isosurface
> object.
>
> This could be used for fast previews or even final renders if the speed
> was good with large array sizes.
>
> Comments?

That's only useful if you can save the mesh and use it for other
renders. Some people have shown that generating such a mesh can take as
long as rendering the isosurface directly. However once you have the
mesh, you can re-render it a lot faster.

Post a reply to this message

>> Internally the parser would define a 20x10x20 array of points within the
>> bounding box of the isosurface, and calculate the isosurface value at
>> each point.  Then an algorithm like marching cubes would be used to
>> generate a mesh2 object to be rendered instead of the actual isosurface
>> object.
>>
>> This could be used for fast previews or even final renders if the speed
>> was good with large array sizes.
>>
>> Comments?
>>

> That's only useful if you can save the mesh and use it for other renders.

Yes, that could be a useful feature, allowing the mesh2 to be saved as a
specified .inc file for inclusion in later renders or an animation.

> Some people have shown that generating such a mesh can take as long as
> rendering the isosurface directly.

AIUI that's with the mesh generated in SDL.  If the mesh generation
algorithm were coded directly into the binary then it should run much
faster.

There are other algorithms that could be used too, like marching triangles
which are seemingly more efficient than marching cubes.

Post a reply to this message

> That's only useful if you can save the mesh and use it for other
> renders.

#if (generate_mesh = 0)
 #include "my_mesh.inc"
#else
 mesh_generation_macro()
#end

(This is quite similar to the way Radiosity pregeneration works, you'll notice).

Post a reply to this message