POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Mesh2 option for isosurface : tesselation and Mesh was: Mesh2 option for isosurface Server Time
9 May 2024 13:00:39 EDT (-0400)
  tesselation and Mesh was: Mesh2 option for isosurface
From: ingo
Date: 25 Nov 2007 09:12:57
Message: <Xns99F39AC84DE4Eseed7@news.povray.org>
in news:474542d3@news.povray.org scott wrote:

> Isosurfaces are slow to render sometimes.
>
> What would be good is if there was an option to render them as a mesh
> with a set detail level.

IMO adding tesselation of any object would be nice. There is a patch
for it, but a troublesome one as I understand.

Speed isn't the main thing for me in this, altough it can be usefull
for animations.

The interesting things with tesselation are what other things one can
do with a mesh. Think of export to other programms. Manipulation of the
mesh with POV-Ray, regardless of wether it is done by POV-Ray directly
or through include files. Think of subsurface division, surface
displacement, boning, uvmapping etc.

For these I think we'd need a bit extended mesh format, one that also
accepts (non-flat) polygons.

More important, we'd need to get access to the arrays a mesh2 consists
of so mesh can be manipulated through SDL.

ingo