POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hidden files mystery Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Hidden files mystery (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Re: Hidden files mystery
Date: 23 Jul 2009 07:55:00
Message: <web.4a684f31eeb7a6d734d207310@news.povray.org>
ROUND TWO!

Originally, K3b, the Linux burning application, said I had 113 MB free space on
the DVD during the burning operation.  So I added a bunch more files.   On the
next draft, K3b said I had 10.3 MB free space. Whew!  Only when it went
actually to start the burn, it said there wasn't enough room for the operation.
  So I removed another 15 MB.  Same deal.  Then I removed more until it said it
had 46MB free space. Then it worked.

Q: How can you predict what will actually fit on a disk?   What measurement is
absolutely correct?

I'm also wondering, if I were to delete thumbs.db's (across thousands of
image-containing directories), how long until Windows puts them back.  I'm also
not sure that's the only problem with predicting DVD-fitting.  Could the
directories themselves be taking up a nontrivial amount of space, (an amount
calculated by one routine of K3b but not the other?)

Post a reply to this message