POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hidden files mystery : Re: Hidden files mystery Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:11:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hidden files mystery
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Jul 2009 15:51:18
Message: <4a6a10b6$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:
>>> How?
>> If you don't know what you need to burn into each sector, your CD burning
>> software sucks. :-)  How could you *not* know which sectors you need to burn?
>>

> AFAIK, Neither Roxio on the XP platform nor K3b on the Linux one gives *sector*
> information until it's deep into the burning process.   Can you name an app
> that tells you sectors up front & show a screen grab of how it's presented?

Maybe I'm being unclear. By "you" I mean "the application" or perhaps "the
programmer of the application".  How does a program burn a CD without
knowing every byte it writes to the CD?  How does it not know exactly how
many bytes it's going to write? How does it not know whether that many bytes
fit on a standard size CD?

If the application can burn the CD, it can certainly figure out how many
bytes it's going to burn, yes? If it tells you it will fit and then it
doesn't, it's because it's not using the same algorithm to lay out the files
for the burn as it's using to calculate the space used, and that's a bug.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."