POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Passion of the Christ (Message 96 to 105 of 145)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Passion of the Christ
Date: 10 Jun 2009 13:12:20
Message: <4a2fe974$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 09:36:14 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I have many friends who are true believers. ...
>  >  they don't try to convince me that I'm wrong.
>
> And often the true believers who don't try to convince you you're wrong
> are as "invisible" to such things as a quiet atheist. If they never talk
> about it, you never know if they're true believers, so they don't modify
> your "all believers are loud" experiences.

True, though I have had some fairly in-depth discussions with people who
are true believers.  Generally that comes long after the friendship has
been built, though - gotta have a certain amount of trust and respect
before you start talking religious beliefs.

Which I think was part of Warp's point as his first (and maybe only) post
in this thread.  This group has some fairly weak trust (and respect) at
certain points, so religious discussions tend to get out of hand when
those members who show a lack of trust/respect start the discussion or
get involved in it.

Not saying that's good or bad, but just my observation of the way it is.
Personally, I enjoy talking about the ideas with those who aren't
threatened by such discussion.  It's when those whose beliefs are
threatened by the discussion get involved that things get out of hand.

Jim

Post a reply to this message