POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Passion of the Christ : Re: Passion of the Christ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Passion of the Christ
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Jun 2009 00:49:35
Message: <4a308cdf@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 21:01:11 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> Sure, there are "nice" people, who don't fall into that category. Sort
>> of...
>
> You really need to meet more people - if your sample is so small that you
> believe that all believers aren't nice (etc.), then you don't have a
> sufficiently large sample size to understand the POV of someone who does
> believe.
>
> I live in Utah.  I have many friends who are true believers.  They've
> helped me move house, they understand that I don't believe what they do,
> and they don't try to convince me that I'm wrong.

Try doing something that "really" conflicts with their views in some way
though. Reality is, there is almost always "something" that will set
them against you, if you cross some undefined, imaginary, line. The ones
that don't.. Are usually a hairs breadth from being "basically"
agnostics, or UU members. I.e., they either follow the religion because
they "hope" its meaningful, and its become habit, or they have a view of
religion that is so nebulous that they would rather just leap to the
conclusion that you are good, therefor following god, even if you don't
know you are, and thus "saved" anyway. Nice ones are wishy washy in
views, either about the religion itself, or if not that, then as to
their "interpretation" of who is "really" following it. The minor
exception is a few that think being nice to everyone is "mandated", but
still share, among themselves, the certainty that you, being a
non-believer, are in deep shit later.

The problem with these later groups is that they invariably have "some"
members who, if they didn't have a more aggressive and nasty group to
join, would feel the need to "invent" one, so they could teach the
"proper" lessons, unlike their parents, which means "not being nice".
You can't hold to a religion that contains the "seeds" for such
practice, and plenty of examples, and not expect recidivism to a nastier
version on occasion.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {