POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  you & me right now, warp (Message 51 to 60 of 175)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: you & me right now, warp
Date: 16 Feb 2009 16:02:12
Message: <4999d454$1@news.povray.org>
>> Either ACID-compliance is a good thing, or it isn't. (I'm of the view
>> that it is, but apparently I'm in the minority here...)
>
> It's a good thing if you need it. It's an unnecessary burden if you
> don't. That's what I was trying to come away with.
>
> Now, most people *do* need ACID, or they wouldn't be using a database in
> the first place. (Your text editor isn't ACID, is it?)  But there are
> increasingly more places that are willing to give up consistency in
> favor of scalability.

See, I always thought that giving up on ACID was basically saying "yes,
my data *will* get corrupted at some point", which would seem rather bad.

>> Or rather, only *my* posts are moderated. (Several people have at
>> various times mentioned the lack of moderation, so I think it's only me.)
>
> It's either moderated or it isn't. Now, maybe some peoples' posts are
> auto-approved, but they're still moderated. If it's an NNTP forum, you
> can tell by looking at the headers.

SMTP, unfortunately.

I did suggest it should be changed to NNTP, but I got flamed.

NNTP has the nice property that you can be as chatty as you damned well
like, and if other people aren't interested, they can just ignore that
thread. SMTP does not have this property.

>> [Uh... this thread started, how exactly? How long as Mr Quad been
>> hanging around here?]
>
> Well, OK. But he doesn't troll about on-topic stuff, even in off-topic. :-)

WTF *is* he on about, actually??

...wait, don't answer that.

>> I wouldn't mind, but I actually think Haskell is the coolest thing
>> ever to exist, and I just want to help it take over the world. For my
>> trouble, I get accused of being a troll. How did my message get this
>> mutilated in transit??
>
> Hard to say without seeing what you posted. What did you post?

Needless to say, I can't show you everything I've said in the last 3
years. (My latest post was simply written too hurridly, and is ambiguous
in ways which, in hindsight, are rather unfortunate.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/