POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp : Re: you & me right now, warp Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:51:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: you & me right now, warp
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Feb 2009 16:40:37
Message: <4999dd55$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> See, I always thought that giving up on ACID was basically saying "yes,
> my data *will* get corrupted at some point", which would seem rather bad.

Only if your data is vital. That's kind of the point I'm making. If your
data is (for example) google's search cache, it doesn't matter if it's
corrupted *temporarily*.  It doesn't matter if someone on the west coast
sees the old version of your facebook page for 10 minutes after you change
it on the east coast.

> NNTP has the nice property that you can be as chatty as you damned well
> like, and if other people aren't interested, they can just ignore that
> thread. SMTP does not have this property.

True.

> WTF *is* he on about, actually??
> ...wait, don't answer that.

I have known a number of people like that. It was always, quite literally,
brain damage. Hence peoples' comments about taking his medications.

> Needless to say, I can't show you everything I've said in the last 3
> years. (My latest post was simply written too hurridly, and is ambiguous
> in ways which, in hindsight, are rather unfortunate.)

Take more care with the perfectionists who code Haskell compilers, then. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"