POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  you & me right now, warp (Message 166 to 175 of 175)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: you & me right now, warp
Date: 23 Feb 2009 14:27:28
Message: <bms5q4t6via57dos66ic15pntui62h63i0@4ax.com>
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:14:43 EST, "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>Hum, let's see what I have in my playlist...
>
>Quite a bunch of irish / celtic / (british) folk artists, some of which may
>qualify as "less known" to "outsiders":

In my youth I liked Scottish and Irish folk music a lot. I don't know if you
have heard of  The Dubliners, The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, The
Chieftains, Hamish Imlach, Corrie Folk Trio and Paddie Bell, Capercaillie etc.

>Anyone remember Peter, Paul and Mary?

Afraid so :)

>Ladysmith Black Mambazo - the best songs IMHO being those they did together with
>Paul Simon, but did some good ones of their own, too.
>
>Another South African singer: Miriam Makeba.

Have you listened to the Soweto String Quartet?
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Feb 2009 14:50:35
Message: <49a2fe0b$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:09:58 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> ...you can *do* that?? o_O
>>
>> It *is* a mail-to-news gateway.....
>
> Oh. I thought it was just a web interface to a mailing list.

Um, no, it's self-described as a "mail to news gateway".

Paragraph 3 from the about page, for example:

"This is what Gmane offers. Mailing lists are funneled into news groups.
This isn't a new idea; several mail-to-news gateways exist. What's new
with Gmane is that no messages are ever expired from the server, and the
gateway is bidirectional. You can post to some of these mailing lists
without being subscribed to them yourself, depending on whether the
mailing lists allow non-subscribers to post or not."

>> Have a look at the FAQ....or the "About" link.
>
> I'm pretty sure I've done that once already...

Then read closer. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 23 Feb 2009 15:29:17
Message: <49A30713.80805@hotmail.com>
On 23-2-2009 20:27, Stephen wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:14:43 EST, "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>
>> Hum, let's see what I have in my playlist...
>>
>> Quite a bunch of irish / celtic / (british) folk artists, some of which may
>> qualify as "less known" to "outsiders":
>>
> In my youth I liked Scottish and Irish folk music a lot. I don't know if you
> have heard of  The Dubliners,
yes, but I am not particularly a fan of them. I think I heard them too
often sing out of tune. Very funny in a group with drunken Irishmen I
guess, but I am not Irish and I don't drink.
> The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem,
Yes!
> The Chieftains,
Yes couple of records.
> Hamish Imlach, Corrie Folk Trio and Paddie Bell, Capercaillie etc.

except for the previously mentioned Capercaillie, I don'y know them.

>> Anyone remember Peter, Paul and Mary?
>>

> Afraid so :)
>
>> Ladysmith Black Mambazo - the best songs IMHO being those they did together with
>> Paul Simon, but did some good ones of their own, too.
>>
>> Another South African singer: Miriam Makeba.
>>

> Have you listened to the Soweto String Quartet?
no, off to youtube...

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 23 Feb 2009 16:40:00
Message: <web.49a3171d98eaac14bc3331700@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote:
> In my youth I liked Scottish and Irish folk music a lot. I don't know if you
> have heard of  The Dubliners,

Sure - didn't mention them because I guess they're probably the best-known Irish
folk band of all.

> The Clancy Brothers

I guess I heard the name, but that's about it.

> Tommy Makem,

Doesn't ring a bell.

> The Chieftains,

Good, but not exactly my taste, mostly. Too much on the pop side.

> Hamish Imlach, Corrie Folk Trio and Paddie Bell,

Never heard any of those.

> Capercaillie etc.

Didn't I mention them myself? Whoops...

> >Anyone remember Peter, Paul and Mary?
>
> Afraid so :)

Don't like them? I really love the traditional songs they performed.

> Have you listened to the Soweto String Quartet?

Not yet.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 23 Feb 2009 16:56:14
Message: <qn66q49ra6e88mcm402oq80vul596g43un@4ax.com>
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:29:07 +0100, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> but I am not Irish and I don't drink.

To reuse a saying from the seventies; "It doesn't make you a bad person". :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 23 Feb 2009 17:10:40
Message: <ot66q4pfta88arqblt06gp3t3k70mmb1q6@4ax.com>
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:37:33 EST, "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>> In my youth I liked Scottish and Irish folk music a lot. I don't know if you
>> have heard of  The Dubliners,
>
>Sure - didn't mention them because I guess they're probably the best-known Irish
>folk band of all.

Fairy 'Nuff ;)

>> The Clancy Brothers
>
>I guess I heard the name, but that's about it.

Think Arran jumpers :)

>> Tommy Makem,
>
>Doesn't ring a bell.

He played with the Clancy Brothers for a while.

>> The Chieftains,
>
>Good, but not exactly my taste, mostly. Too much on the pop side.

They must have changed since I moved on to clasical.

>> Hamish Imlach, Corrie Folk Trio and Paddie Bell,
>
>Never heard any of those.

I'm surprised as the Corries were very big. They sang "The flower of Scotland"
which is the de facto national anthem of Scotland, at least at sport matches.

>> Capercaillie etc.
>
>Didn't I mention them myself? Whoops...

So you did. Whoops!

>> >Anyone remember Peter, Paul and Mary?
>>
>> Afraid so :)
>
>Don't like them? I really love the traditional songs they performed.

Too Anglo Saxon, for my tastes.

>> Have you listened to the Soweto String Quartet?
>
>Not yet.

The only non classical CDs I've bought recently.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Feb 2009 20:44:35
Message: <49a35103$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:10:35 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>> The Chieftains,
>>
>>Good, but not exactly my taste, mostly. Too much on the pop side.
>>

> They must have changed since I moved on to clasical.

We got to seem them a few years ago in concert here in Utah - thought it
was great (the seats kinda sucked, though - nosebleed section at he
front, looking practically straight down on the stage).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Feb 2009 17:56:33
Message: <49a9c120@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Warp seems to access the Internet only to tell me I've mis-spelt things.
> (As if I couldn't have guessed that. My inability to spell is legend.)
> To be honest, that doesn't really bother me. Mostly.

When someone tells you you misspelt something, take it as a compliment:
that's the only mistake he could find with your post; nothing in the actual
contents :P

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Feb 2009 18:32:19
Message: <49a9c982@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>> And of course, you can access a web-based forum from any machine without
>> having to install a client (although POV has a web interface for its
>> NNTP server).
>
> People were quick to point out that the Haskell mailing list can be
> accessed through "gmane", which is web-based. So that makes it OK,
> doesn't it?

Dude, gmane is NNTP, that's its purpose.

And also has a web interface for those who want it.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Mar 2009 01:24:00
Message: <49aa2a00@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:03:40 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> OK. I've never seen that on any web forum, ever. All of the web forums
> I've seen are like NNTP, but more primitive. (E.g., messages are
> "threaded", but purely in the order the messages were posted. You can't
> have branching threads, for example.)

Any site that uses vBulletin for their forums would disagree with you....

And that's an awful lot of web-based forums.

Jim