POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp Server Time
9 Oct 2024 18:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  you & me right now, warp (Message 136 to 145 of 175)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: you & me right now, warp
Date: 20 Feb 2009 06:41:47
Message: <am5tp4dn2g9b0lcn5431rd4f11tc2p40sg@4ax.com>
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:18:02 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>>> Yes, but would an Englishman know?
>>
>> No and it is considered pretentious to pronounce French words, that are used in
>> English, as they are pronounced in France. For instance Paris is not "Paree",
>> filet is fill-et etc.
>
>One thing I discovered while in Switzerland: You have to say French
>words with an actual French accent, or people don't know WTF you're saying.

Never :)

>Yeah, I know, it sounds obvious. But the number of English people who
>think it's "bon-jor" when in fact what I heard the people there utterly
>sounded nothing like that...

Oh reservoir.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 20 Feb 2009 06:45:14
Message: <499e97ca$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> Oh reservoir.

Hahahaha! You loon!!

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 20 Feb 2009 06:53:39
Message: <co5tp4hq8jg89t2f6fkfhib9vt7pfgi8bi@4ax.com>
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:24:51 +0100, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>> No and it is considered pretentious to pronounce French words, that are used in
>> English, as they are pronounced in France.
>
>Funny that. Try pronouncing a French or English word here as if it is
>Dutch and see how people react. In fact as a Dutch person you are
>assumed to know which words come from which language and change
>pronunciation rules in midsentence as required.

I know. I once heard a woman use three languages in one sentence at Eindhoven
railway station. French, Dutch and English.

>Only words that have
>been incorporated in the language for a long time get assimilated
>somewhat. We do write 'buro' nowadays and not 'bureau', but I have yet
>to see a newspaper write 'kompjoeter', unless for humoristic affect.

I like the Dutch sense of humour
.
>>  For instance Paris is not "Paree", filet is fill-et etc.
>Paris is not a good example as we do have a Dutch word for it: 'Parijs',
>with a 'ij' vowel that you nor a French person can pronounce correctly.

Probably true :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 20 Feb 2009 06:55:36
Message: <lg6tp4hh6g24b0pus1c6sdrlqdnpq1uvfe@4ax.com>
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:44:58 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>
>> Oh reservoir.
>
>Hahahaha! You loon!!

Not me but E F Benson in the Mapp and Lucia novels.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message