POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New Moon thought fuel Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:26:23 EDT (-0400)
  New Moon thought fuel (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Halbert
Subject: Re: New Moon thought fuel
Date: 4 Jun 2008 20:42:48
Message: <48473688@news.povray.org>
>>   I don't really get it. Does having *one* of your parents black make
>> you also black? Why is it ok to say he is black, but it would sound
>> strange to call him white? Is white ancestry "less hereditary" than
>> black one?
>
> In this country it is, yah.
>
> "Black" was defined legally as having at least one "black"
> great-grandparent. (I.e., 1/8th black was "black".)

Why should there even be a legal definition of "black" in this day and age?

From: Darren New
Date: 4 Jun 2008 21:07:26
Message: <48473c4e$1@news.povray.org>
Halbert wrote:
> Why should there even be a legal definition of "black" in this day and age?

I don't believe there is. But "this day and age" is surprisingly recent
in the USA.

I'm not sure why everyone would be required to ask your race, either, if
the reason they're asking is they're not allowed to make any decisions
based on it (such as employers).  Even to the point that if you refuse
to say, the employer is required to look at you and guess your "race".

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"