POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New Moon thought fuel : Re: New Moon thought fuel Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:14:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Moon thought fuel
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jun 2008 11:32:14
Message: <484806fe$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> I'm not sure why everyone would be required to ask your race, either
>
>   Sometimes your appearances may be crucial for certain jobs, and it
> doesn't necessarily have anything to do with racism. A film role would
> be a prominent example.

Yes, but in the USA, you're not allowed to discriminate based on race
for employment. (Where "discriminate" is taken to mean "discriminate for
no good reason." Certainly you can distinguish between appropriate
actors.)

For example, you're not allowed to ask someone their race during a job
interview. But you're required to report on their race if you hire them.

In addition, the law says employers must report how many of each gender
and race they've hired, supposedly so they can be punished if they *are*
discriminating.  And the census asks your race (altho you can put down
anything you feel like.) Apparently "Jedi knight" is a rather popular
write-in religion on the census, for example.

You're also not supposed to discriminate based on religion, *plus* you
don't have to try to guess someone's religion.

I'm just saying it's a screwy system, and while I understand the
motivation, I think it sends the wrong signals to the new culture
growing up, which is really the only way to get rid of discrimination.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"