POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sketchup versus povray Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:12 EDT (-0400)
  Sketchup versus povray (Message 11 to 20 of 28)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Sketchup versus povray
Date: 23 Dec 2007 14:19:49
Message: <476EB4DB.1030509@hotmail.com>
Rune wrote:
>> For some of those SIGGRAPH presentations, it seemed like the software
>> companies were sponsors.
Talking about sponsoring, I don't see much enthusiasm yet to sponsor
your trip. :( Come on guys, Rune is going to make it big in the games

pay back in 5 years time, guaranteed without interest. That's an
opportunity you can not afford to miss.

> POV-Ray is free and that's great; no doubt about that. That still doesn't
> mean it's an efficient tool for character modeling and animation. :) If it
> was, companies would be all over it, with all the money they could save on
> licenses for expensive 3D software.

No, free also means that you can not phone someone and demand that a bug
is fixed now or preferably yesterday. That is why I always give my
programs for free, I don't want to have to do support.

Post a reply to this message

From: Rune
Date: 23 Dec 2007 15:31:25
Message: <476ec59d$1@news.povray.org>
"andrel" wrote:
> Talking about sponsoring, I don't see much enthusiasm yet to sponsor your
> trip. :( Come on guys, Rune is going to make it big in the games industry.

> 5 years time, guaranteed without interest. That's an opportunity you can
> not afford to miss.

Lending someone money without interest and having a chance of maybe getting
it back is something you can't afford to miss? :D

I really appreciate the offer from you and the interest, but I couldn't
accept such a thing.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 23 Dec 2007 16:13:27
Message: <476ECF7D.2030607@hotmail.com>
Rune wrote:
> "andrel" wrote:
>> Talking about sponsoring, I don't see much enthusiasm yet to sponsor your
>> trip. :( Come on guys, Rune is going to make it big in the games industry.

>> 5 years time, guaranteed without interest. That's an opportunity you can
>> not afford to miss.
>
> Lending someone money without interest and having a chance of maybe getting
> it back is something you can't afford to miss? :D
>
> I really appreciate the offer from you and the interest, but I couldn't
> accept such a thing.

I can understand that, and actually I didn't expect anything else. Yet,
I still think that you should at least try to get there, and this is
just a way to express how important I think it is. One obvious possible
sponsor is the company you are going to work with. Another one is your
university. If you had been a student of mine, I am pretty sure I could
get you a grant from any of a couple of (semi)government and
professional organizations. So talk to your adviser at the university.
Still, if you fail in all these things, don't hesitate to tell us.

Post a reply to this message

From: Fa3ien
Date: 23 Dec 2007 16:33:38
Message: <476ed432@news.povray.org>

> I note with humor this selling point from the description of Sketchup Pro:
>
> "Typing is a lousy way to draw. Building 3D models is tricky enough without
> having to think like a computer. Instead of making you input coordinates,
> SketchUp has an advanced guidance system of colors, lines and text hints that
> help you keep track of where you are and what you're doing."

As a regular-basis Sketchup user, I'd often like to be able to give
coordinates, instead of trying to convince the smart-and-simple-but-
sometimes-limited-input-system to put a point where I'd like it to
go.

Maybe I should check for, or create, some Ruby script to do that.

Fabien.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 23 Dec 2007 16:53:36
Message: <476ed8e0@news.povray.org>
> Today I read that you need the full version and *signing an NDA* to get
> the C++ SDK (for example to write a converter).

Export is based on Collada, which was intended for free exchange of
data, but every vertex has an offset (the Lat/Long of your IP lookup)
added to it. Not only does this "sign" every bit of data as originating
from your computer, the actual data is small in comparison, so
every vertex needs to be scaled back up after subtracting off the
Lat/Long. This makes exporting curved surfaces impossible,
since the data is lost in the least significant bits. I would guess that
there is some setting in the registered version that disables this
behavior.

Post a reply to this message

From: gregjohn
Date: 24 Dec 2007 09:45:01
Message: <web.476fc5d1173ea80d34d207310@news.povray.org>
> "andrel" wrote:
> > Talking about sponsoring, I don't see much enthusiasm yet to sponsor your
> > trip. :( Come on guys, Rune is going to make it big in the games industry.

> > 5 years time, guaranteed without interest. That's an opportunity you can
> > not afford to miss.

<  Greg makes a mental note to look for the URL he must have missed about this,
not to get cash for self in future, but to support Rune now.  Worries that he's

"Rune" <aut### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:

> I really appreciate the offer from you and the interest, but I couldn't
> accept such a thing.

 oh.  8^)

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 7 Jan 2008 02:45:08
Message: <4781d884@news.povray.org>
> I note with humor this selling point from the description of Sketchup Pro:
>
> "Typing is a lousy way to draw. Building 3D models is tricky enough
> without
> having to think like a computer. Instead of making you input coordinates,
> SketchUp has an advanced guidance system of colors, lines and text hints
> that
> help you keep track of where you are and what you're doing."
>
> http://www.sketchup.com/?id=2

Just for interest, all modern 3D CAD programs work in similar way to
SketchUp to start with.  You draw you stuff using the mouse, and the
software automatically tries to guess what you meant to do (ie lines at
right angles to each other, lines parallel, same length etc).  After you've
drawn your initial sketch you can then go and delete/add constraints until
your sketch is exactly as you want.  Of course constraints can be formulae
based on other dimensions, other drawings etc so it's very flexible to build
up a whole model based on just a few parameters.  The huge benefit is that
when you want to change one of the key parameters, the entire model is
updated in virtually real-time (depending on the complexity of the model...)

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 7 Jan 2008 16:32:57
Message: <47829a89$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Just for interest, all modern 3D CAD programs work in similar way to
> SketchUp to start with.  You draw you stuff using the mouse, and the
> software automatically tries to guess what you meant to do (ie lines at
> right angles to each other, lines parallel, same length etc).  After
> you've drawn your initial sketch you can then go and delete/add
> constraints until your sketch is exactly as you want.  Of course
> constraints can be formulae based on other dimensions, other drawings
> etc so it's very flexible to build up a whole model based on just a few
> parameters.  The huge benefit is that when you want to change one of the
> key parameters, the entire model is updated in virtually real-time
> (depending on the complexity of the model...)

1. Wow... Actual CAD software exists and there are people who use it.

2. A mouse? Really? Not a tablet or some other futuristic input device?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: scott
Date: 8 Jan 2008 03:30:44
Message: <478334b4$1@news.povray.org>
> 1. Wow... Actual CAD software exists and there are people who use it.

Yes, the package I use sells about 30k copies a year.  So some people must
be using it.

> 2. A mouse? Really? Not a tablet or some other futuristic input device?

I use a mouse for drawing 2D sketches (as do most other people I know), it's
most intuitive given that it's what you use for every other operation like
this in other software.  For panning/zooming (and rotating when in 3D) I use
a 3D mouse with my left hand though.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 8 Jan 2008 11:53:19
Message: <4783aa7f@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/01/07 16:33:
> scott wrote:
>
>> Just for interest, all modern 3D CAD programs work in similar way to
>> SketchUp to start with.  You draw you stuff using the mouse, and the
>> software automatically tries to guess what you meant to do (ie lines
>> at right angles to each other, lines parallel, same length etc).
>> After you've drawn your initial sketch you can then go and delete/add
>> constraints until your sketch is exactly as you want.  Of course
>> constraints can be formulae based on other dimensions, other drawings
>> etc so it's very flexible to build up a whole model based on just a
>> few parameters.  The huge benefit is that when you want to change one
>> of the key parameters, the entire model is updated in virtually
>> real-time (depending on the complexity of the model...)
>
> 1. Wow... Actual CAD software exists and there are people who use it.
Tons of peoples use those. AutoCAD is a huge one. Started 2D only, then added
faked 3D, then 3D primitives and modeling. Professional use only at over $6000
per workstation/user, unless you have a pirated version...

> 2. A mouse? Really? Not a tablet or some other futuristic input device?
A tablet futuristic? It's over 20 years old!

--
Alain
No matter how good she looks, some other guy is sick and tired of putting up

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>