POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sketchup versus povray : Re: Sketchup versus povray Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sketchup versus povray
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 23 Dec 2007 16:53:36
Message: <476ed8e0@news.povray.org>
> Today I read that you need the full version and *signing an NDA* to get
> the C++ SDK (for example to write a converter).

Export is based on Collada, which was intended for free exchange of
data, but every vertex has an offset (the Lat/Long of your IP lookup)
added to it. Not only does this "sign" every bit of data as originating
from your computer, the actual data is small in comparison, so
every vertex needs to be scaled back up after subtracting off the
Lat/Long. This makes exporting curved surfaces impossible,
since the data is lost in the least significant bits. I would guess that
there is some setting in the registered version that disables this
behavior.