POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Write my own review - WTF?!? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Write my own review - WTF?!? (Message 6 to 15 of 35)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: Write my own review - WTF?!?
Date: 12 Jun 2008 07:48:00
Message: <48510cf0@news.povray.org>
Kyle wrote:
> This is a bit of a rant, but I think I have good reason.
>
> I've been working for my company for almost 20 years.  My manager has not given me a
formal evaluation in seven years, even though I get an "I'm working on it" every year
when I ask about it.

> Last week, I reminded him of my review date passing yet again this year, and I
received a reply from him that states that I need to write my own review.  Note that
this is not a self-evaluation for
> comparison against my formal review that he will write.  He wants me to write my
formal evaluation and he will then modify/append to it.  Ok, WTF?!?

> Now I received another message from him that states that my review is due to him
before the end of June.  So, basically he is seven years late and now wants me to have
it done for him in a couple of
> weeks.
>
> Would I be wrong in telling him to shove it?  I'm becoming quite pissed about this
whole situation.

In the US military, this is expressly prohibited ("Do not have the ratee
write or draft any portion of the report" is the verbiage from Air Force
Instruction 36-2406), but except for people who are out of favor, the
practice is universally ignored if the ratee is an officer or an NCO.

Granted, the supervisor is free to change anything in the report, and in
fact every Tom, Dick and Harriet in the chain of command makes whatever
changes the feel like making, so the effect of this violation is minimal.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Austin
Date: 12 Jun 2008 09:33:27
Message: <485125a7$1@news.povray.org>
Kyle wrote:
> This is a bit of a rant, but I think I have good reason.
>
> I've been working for my company for almost 20 years.  My manager has not given me a
formal evaluation in seven years, even though I get an "I'm working on it" every year
when I ask about it.

> Last week, I reminded him of my review date passing yet again this year, and I
received a reply from him that states that I need to write my own review.  Note that
this is not a self-evaluation for
> comparison against my formal review that he will write.  He wants me to write my
formal evaluation and he will then modify/append to it.  Ok, WTF?!?

> Now I received another message from him that states that my review is due to him
before the end of June.  So, basically he is seven years late and now wants me to have
it done for him in a couple of
> weeks.
>
> Would I be wrong in telling him to shove it?  I'm becoming quite pissed about this
whole situation.

Welcome to my world....
At least I never was asked to write my own review like this.

Take it as an opportunity to put all of your achievements in writing in
front of him.  For good measure you do need to list some shortcomings so
that it will be taken seriously.

While you can't be stupid in putting it together, you can turn this
around to be something that might get you more on the good with the manager.

Best luck

Tom

Post a reply to this message

From: DungBeatle
Date: 12 Jun 2008 10:39:07
Message: <4851350b$1@news.povray.org>
This happened to me once and I told my boss I was
uncomfortable with writing my own review--ethics and all
that. He finally did my review and it was trash. He screwed
me over... Do the review yourself...

Post a reply to this message

From: Robert McGregor
Date: 12 Jun 2008 20:30:00
Message: <web.4851befd864a2d87bd1b3ad10@news.povray.org>
> Would I be wrong in telling him to shove it?  I'm becoming quite pissed about this
whole situation.

I suppose that depends on how much money you make and if you could find
comparable employment somewhere else before your savings run out, LOL...

Seriously, it's pretty common where I work for midlevel managers and above to
complete self-evaluations that are then reviewed and (sometimes) modified by
their bosses.

Since I actually wrote the web-based evaluation tool that all
managers, directors, VPs, etc use to write the final appraisals for their
employees, I end up seeing quite a lot of them while I work with HR to make
sure everything goes smoothly.

Not having a a review in 7 years though, that's BS. How can they possibly gauge
your raises each year? You can't do a merit increase without rating someone's
merit!

-Rob

"There is no spoon."

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 13 Jun 2008 05:01:28
Message: <op.ucojdlw4c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 16:21:02 +0100, Kyle <hob### [at] gatenet> did
spake, saying:

> This is a bit of a rant, but I think I have good reason.
>
> I've been working for my company for almost 20 years.  My manager has
> not given me a formal evaluation in seven years, even though I get an
> "I'm working on it" every year when I ask about it.
>
> Last week, I reminded him of my review date passing yet again this year,
> and I received a reply from him that states that I need to write my own
> review.  Note that this is not a self-evaluation for
> comparison against my formal review that he will write.  He wants me to
> write my formal evaluation and he will then modify/append to it.  Ok,
> WTF?!?

Oo do you get to write about yourself in the third person? Heh -

Kyle is like unto a god, his dedication to the company is an example and
inspiration to us all. Indeed many of his achievements have not only
increased our profits, but often have staved off imminent bankruptcy and
liquidation. As such I cannot stress more firmly the need to keep this
gentleman on our payroll and thus conclude that a 100% pay increase
backdated to the start of his employment is in order along with the
retention of a 24-hour on-call masseuse in case he every feels stressed.

There you go let your boss modify/append that :-P

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 13 Jun 2008 05:06:25
Message: <op.ucojlvcqc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:01:59 +0100, Phil Cook
<phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> did spake, saying:

> every feels stressed.

There see your boss can correct my bad grammar and feel useful.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 13 Jun 2008 06:00:27
Message: <4852453b$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:

> There see your boss can correct my bad grammar and feel useful.

"God" is typically spelt with a capital G. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Stephen
Date: 13 Jun 2008 06:08:30
Message: <loh454l2d0gj161pjl37pcotsc95ate1c0@4ax.com>
On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:00:26 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> There see your boss can correct my bad grammar and feel useful.
>
>"God" is typically spelt with a capital G. :-P

Only when talking about "The" god not a god.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 13 Jun 2008 09:30:35
Message: <op.ucovtczic3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:08:29 +0100, Stephen <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom>
did spake, saying:

> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:00:26 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>
>> Phil Cook wrote:
>>
>>> There see your boss can correct my bad grammar and feel useful.
>>
>> "God" is typically spelt with a capital G. :-P
>
> Only when talking about "The" god not a god.

Indeed, thank you Stephen. I wonder how many polythestic fictional
characters declare "By the Gods" because of that little unrecognised
detail :-P

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 13 Jun 2008 09:52:14
Message: <7su45493p6a9buddidfd1310k742s8aeds@4ax.com>
On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:30:38 +0100, "Phil Cook"
<phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:

>Indeed, thank you Stephen. I wonder how many polythestic fictional
>characters declare "By the Gods" because of that little unrecognised
>detail :-P

INDEED MY sON :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>