POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A job opportunity for someone? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  A job opportunity for someone? (Message 8 to 17 of 37)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: A job opportunity for someone?
Date: 23 Aug 2008 06:49:15
Message: <48afeb2b$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> Oh the irony of that. Looking at the timestamp on this message, at the
>> moment you posted it, I was in Stewart House on the corner of Russell
>> Square talking to a man about how to improve my job searching...
>>
>> (Yes, I walked past the Jack Horner on the way. I did think about
>> meantioning it on here - but I figured nobody would be around at that
>> time of day anyway.)
>
> You could have phoned :-)
> I would have made time to meet you

I don't have your number...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Doctor John
Date: 23 Aug 2008 07:27:55
Message: <48aff43b@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Doctor John wrote:
>> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Oh the irony of that. Looking at the timestamp on this message, at
>>> the moment you posted it, I was in Stewart House on the corner of
>>> Russell Square talking to a man about how to improve my job searching...
>>>
>>> (Yes, I walked past the Jack Horner on the way. I did think about
>>> meantioning it on here - but I figured nobody would be around at that
>>> time of day anyway.)
>>
>> You could have phoned :-)
>> I would have made time to meet you
>
> I don't have your number...

Ah, that explains it :-)
Ask Stephen and he'll give it to you; I'm not going to post it here

John

--
"Eppur si muove" - Galileo Galilei

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 23 Aug 2008 07:49:45
Message: <48aff959$1@news.povray.org>
>>> You could have phoned :-)
>>> I would have made time to meet you
>>
>> I don't have your number...
>>
> Ah, that explains it :-)
> Ask Stephen and he'll give it to you; I'm not going to post it here

I don't have Stephen's number either. Actually, the only number I have
is for Phil...

OOC, would you actually have been around between noon and 2?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> Ask Stephen and he'll give it to you; I'm not going to post it here
>
> I don't have Stephen's number either. Actually, the only number I have
> is for Phil...
>
> OOC, would you actually have been around between noon and 2?

Strangely, yes. I was probably no more than a couple of hundred yards
from you.
Whatever, let me know next time you're in Sin City and I'll do my best
to meet up (can't promise, but I'll try)

John

From: Phil Cook
Date: 26 Aug 2008 04:06:36
Message: <op.ughh5kioc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:21:21 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull>
did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> Andrew are you reading this? It's
>> http://www.paragonsimulation.com/live/news/news8.asp based in
>> Halesowen. I know it's a distance, but you're already doing the
>> MK-Coventry run and this isn't much more; I'm gotta say I'm vaguely
>> looking at this myself.
>
> "You will have a good numerate degree [...]"
>
> WTF does that even *mean*??

One assumes some type of degree in mathematics or a subject in which maths
plays a substantial part.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 26 Aug 2008 04:59:16
Message: <48b3c5e4@news.povray.org>
>> "You will have a good numerate degree [...]"
>>
>> WTF does that even *mean*??
>
> One assumes some type of degree in mathematics or a subject in which maths
> plays a substantial part.

Where I come from, you don't use any numbers in a maths degree :-)

Seriously though, I think that wording means that they don't require any
specific subject, just that it's vaguely technical (maths, engineering,
physics, computer science, etc).  And the longer since you graduated, the
more interested I suspect they will be about what you have done recently.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 26 Aug 2008 05:07:48
Message: <48b3c7e4$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Where I come from, you don't use any numbers in a maths degree :-)

Heh. It wasn't until I left school that I realised that maths isn't just
arithmetic.

But then, at my school, maths lessions consisted of working through
those huge double-sided sheets of long division problems. I mean, sure,
you need to know how to calculate stuff. But practising the same kind of
calculation, over and over again, for hours on end, for an entire 6
years of my life... seems... like overkill.

Needless to say, it was extremely boring. It wasn't until I reached
college that I discovered the far more interesting concept of "algebra". ;-)

> Seriously though, I think that wording means that they don't require any
> specific subject, just that it's vaguely technical (maths, engineering,
> physics, computer science, etc).

I was hoping that's what it meant.

> And the longer since you graduated,
> the more interested I suspect they will be about what you have done
> recently.

...so they won't be remotely interested in me then?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: scott
Date: 26 Aug 2008 07:12:30
Message: <48b3e51e$1@news.povray.org>
>> And the longer since you graduated,
>> the more interested I suspect they will be about what you have done
>> recently.
>
> ...so they won't be remotely interested in me then?

I would think that Haskell would be quite suited to some of their problems.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 26 Aug 2008 10:04:49
Message: <48b40d81$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

>> ...so they won't be remotely interested in me then?
>
> I would think that Haskell would be quite suited to some of their problems.

Hmm. Interesting. The careers advisor I was speaking to when Phil posted
this actually suggested that I look at "financial abstraction" as a
potential target area. He said that large financial companies often
employ people for developing complex financial models, and although it's
not "programming" as such, it involves those kinds of skills.

But then, this same guy also suggested I look into programming computer
games - especially since those jobs aren't all in London.

Because, you know, it's not as if every computer nerd on Earth wants to
go into games programming or anything like that, is it? ._.

Anyway, looking at the actual vacancies at Paragon, it seems all of them
want "demonstratable experience" with C#, which I obviously don't have.
(I can see one job who's wording is sufficiently ambiguous that it might
be construed as meaning you only need experience with Excel or SQL -
which obviously I have.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 26 Aug 2008 12:01:22
Message: <48b428d2$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Hmm. Interesting. The careers advisor I was speaking to when Phil posted
> this actually suggested that I look at "financial abstraction" as a
> potential target area. He said that large financial companies often
> employ people for developing complex financial models, and although it's
> not "programming" as such, it involves those kinds of skills.
>
> But then, this same guy also suggested I look into programming computer
> games - especially since those jobs aren't all in London.

Don't dismiss his comment. I don't know if I ever told you this, but
about 4-5 months ago I was talking to someone interviewing at financial
firms (he's an engineer), and they told him they were really interested
in people who knew Haskell (my friend had never heard of it).

And some of those folks at those companies actually do quite a bit of
programming when developing those models.

And a number of those who hire for that purpose don't care if you know
anything about finance or stochastic calculus or whatever. You'll learn
on the job or they'll throw some books at you. That was the case two
years ago - they may be a bit more picky now because of the economy.

Seriously, in the last 6 years or so, I've seen many people get hired
for this purpose. None was a trained programmer, all were either
engineers or physicists. Some didn't know a thing about finance. They
just are looking for bright people.

--
This shepherd asks his dog to please go and round up the sheep and see
how many there are...

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>