POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Germ Theory Denialism Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Germ Theory Denialism (Message 11 to 20 of 131)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Germ Theory Denialism
Date: 16 Dec 2010 16:03:54
Message: <4d0a7eba@news.povray.org>
On 12/16/2010 1:46 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> was that the video was patronizing,
>
> I think it was patronizing to denialists, but I don't think denialists
> are its target. It looks like "yes, there really are people that dense,
> and they're not all obviously nut-jobs", followed by "here's how you
> spot a denialist" more than anything.

Hmm. Didn't bother watching it, so initially posted something irrelevant
to the content, but there is a strong thread of, "We have tried every
other damn thing to get these people to pay attention to facts, so lets
make them angry and ridicule them, in the grand tradition of a long
stream of people that have done so, and gotten actual results." People
don't like to have other people make them feel bad. If you treat those
completely clueless about something, or ill informed, like their
position is worthy of discussion, it almost always *strengthens* their
position, even if the only reason you take it seriously is to eviscerate
their arguments. But, sometimes, every once in a while, the otherwise
impervious *do* check their facts, if told that their arguments are not
even worth respecting. And, while there is some small number of fence
sitters that take the whole concept of "defend the underdog" way too
seriously, who will jump to the denialists perspective, far more of them
are likely to go, "Those people do research, these other people just
whine about how they don't believe the research. I am not surprised the
side with facts is pissed off about it."

The other sort, who try to debate/talk it over, because we, in their odd
vision of the universe, we need "allies" among the people skeptical
about abject, well proven, facts, pretty much always end up on the
defense, never get their point across, and when they go to a debate,
almost *always* find that the debate ends up being 10 minutes of the
denialists rattling off 5,000 objections, 80% of which have jack to do
with the subject being debated, and being given the *same* 10 minutes to
address all of them, including the irrelevant ones, or, according to the
denialist, his/her supporters, Faux News, and anyone else with a stake
in the false side of the debate, "They failed to address all of the
points brought up, so they lost the debate!"

Sometimes, the only correct response to this BS is to open your salvo
with, "This is all frakking bullshit, and I am not going to be nice
about it!" ;)

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Darren New
Date: 16 Dec 2010 20:06:18
Message: <4d0ab78a$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Sometimes, the only correct response to this BS is to open your salvo
> with, "This is all frakking bullshit, and I am not going to be nice
> about it!" ;)

Saw this earlier today.  The first half had me laughing at just how
obnoxiously it was phrased. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4dSiHqpULk

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 16 Dec 2010 20:26:24
Message: <87wrn96vhy.fsf@fester.com>
Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> writes:

> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> was that the video was patronizing,
>
> I think it was patronizing to denialists, but I don't think denialists
> are its target. It looks like "yes, there really are people that dense,
> and they're not all obviously nut-jobs", followed by "here's how you
> spot a denialist" more than anything.

My impression too - it's preaching to the choir. A good video for poking
fun, but virtually useless otherwise.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 16 Dec 2010 20:27:46
Message: <4d0abc92$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> My impression too - it's preaching to the choir.

I wouldn't say *that*.  I imagine there are many people who believe in germs
but might get conned into not believing in germs if some authority figure
told them it was up in the air, simply because this denialism hasn't been so
newsworthy.

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 17 Dec 2010 00:17:29
Message: <87oc8l6ksw.fsf@fester.com>
Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> writes:

> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> My impression too - it's preaching to the choir.
>
> I wouldn't say *that*.  I imagine there are many people who believe in
> germs but might get conned into not believing in germs if some authority
> figure told them it was up in the air, simply because this denialism
> hasn't been so newsworthy.

Yes, but I don't see them being convinced otherwise by this video.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 17 Dec 2010 05:27:55
Message: <4d0b3b2b$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.12.2010 02:06, schrieb Darren New:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Sometimes, the only correct response to this BS is to open your salvo
>> with, "This is all frakking bullshit, and I am not going to be nice
>> about it!" ;)
>
> Saw this earlier today. The first half had me laughing at just how
> obnoxiously it was phrased. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4dSiHqpULk

Refreshingly straightforward guy.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 17 Dec 2010 13:25:14
Message: <4d0bab0a@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan <fee### [at] festercom> wrote:
> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> writes:

> > Neeum Zawan wrote:
> >> My impression too - it's preaching to the choir.
> >
> > I wouldn't say *that*.  I imagine there are many people who believe in
> > germs but might get conned into not believing in germs if some authority
> > figure told them it was up in the air, simply because this denialism
> > hasn't been so newsworthy.

> Yes, but I don't see them being convinced otherwise by this video.

  It's a question of prevention. When you know that the denialism
phenomenon exists, it doesn't catch you by surprise if someone tries
to sell it to you. Sometimes if something like this catches you by
surprise and you are not experienced enough in recognizing pseudoscience,
conspiracy theories and denialism, you might get lured into believing it.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 17 Dec 2010 22:50:16
Message: <4d0c2f78$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/16/2010 6:06 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Sometimes, the only correct response to this BS is to open your salvo
>> with, "This is all frakking bullshit, and I am not going to be nice
>> about it!" ;)
>
> Saw this earlier today. The first half had me laughing at just how
> obnoxiously it was phrased. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4dSiHqpULk

Recent article from, I think, the Times, or one of those, centered on
how, unlike some religions, evangelicals tend to embrace technology. My
comment was, "Sure, just like barbarians embrace the use of books for
use as foot rests (or maybe toilet paper would have been a better
anology), someone who conquers a country whose national animal was a
herd of specific deer, or the like, by sending one to every copatriot,
freshly mounted for display, and certain terrorists embrace cell phone
technology." The point is never to understand the sciences, its to
employ those which give them a means to spread the faith, even if they
later, having won, reject the very thing they used to do so, and their
***entire*** intent is to get rid of any and all of it they don't like,
just as soon as they can. Much like creating a 100% museum 'like'
edifice to promote young earth creationism, because museums give the
*suggestion* of authority, while wanting to erase any museum with the
wrong art, or insufficient reverence to mythology), or one builds an
"Ark" theme park, not with the intent of replicating something like
Epcot, but rather the Pinocchio right at Disney Land, but *claiming*
that it is Epcot.

They don't respect any of it, they hate most of it, they would just as
soon be rid of any of it that wasn't convenient for their own ends, etc.
Its the village idiot using a surgical laser to snuff ants, because they
don't believe in surgery, but its so nice for burning ants that they
can't *quite* decide to just get rid of the device entirely. Its still
useful see. Its only the completely useless stuff you throw out, like
heart transplants (thanks Brewer!).

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: andrel
Date: 20 Dec 2010 07:41:50
Message: <4D0F4F10.40303@gmail.com>
On 16-12-2010 10:50, clipka wrote:
> Am 16.12.2010 02:52, schrieb Neeum Zawan:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyodvwxe4mE
>>
>> I'm curious about your views regarding the video. Not the topic - just
>> the video. As in who the target audience would be, if it's made well,
>> etc.
>
> Too much on-screen text, cartoons etc. that don't directly relate to the
> spoken text, and therefore rather distract from it.

That is what my impression was too. You could use it as an example in
the (equally useless) youtube video: 'how to loose your audience in 5
easy steps'.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 20 Dec 2010 08:07:19
Message: <4D0F550A.7040300@gmail.com>
On 17-12-2010 2:06, Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Sometimes, the only correct response to this BS is to open your salvo
>> with, "This is all frakking bullshit, and I am not going to be nice
>> about it!" ;)
>
> Saw this earlier today. The first half had me laughing at just how
> obnoxiously it was phrased. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4dSiHqpULk

Is there a remark on Dutch criminal courts at about 3:30??
If so, what the ... does he mean?