POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Germ Theory Denialism : Re: Germ Theory Denialism Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Germ Theory Denialism
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Dec 2010 16:03:54
Message: <4d0a7eba@news.povray.org>
On 12/16/2010 1:46 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> was that the video was patronizing,
>
> I think it was patronizing to denialists, but I don't think denialists
> are its target. It looks like "yes, there really are people that dense,
> and they're not all obviously nut-jobs", followed by "here's how you
> spot a denialist" more than anything.

Hmm. Didn't bother watching it, so initially posted something irrelevant
to the content, but there is a strong thread of, "We have tried every
other damn thing to get these people to pay attention to facts, so lets
make them angry and ridicule them, in the grand tradition of a long
stream of people that have done so, and gotten actual results." People
don't like to have other people make them feel bad. If you treat those
completely clueless about something, or ill informed, like their
position is worthy of discussion, it almost always *strengthens* their
position, even if the only reason you take it seriously is to eviscerate
their arguments. But, sometimes, every once in a while, the otherwise
impervious *do* check their facts, if told that their arguments are not
even worth respecting. And, while there is some small number of fence
sitters that take the whole concept of "defend the underdog" way too
seriously, who will jump to the denialists perspective, far more of them
are likely to go, "Those people do research, these other people just
whine about how they don't believe the research. I am not surprised the
side with facts is pissed off about it."

The other sort, who try to debate/talk it over, because we, in their odd
vision of the universe, we need "allies" among the people skeptical
about abject, well proven, facts, pretty much always end up on the
defense, never get their point across, and when they go to a debate,
almost *always* find that the debate ends up being 10 minutes of the
denialists rattling off 5,000 objections, 80% of which have jack to do
with the subject being debated, and being given the *same* 10 minutes to
address all of them, including the irrelevant ones, or, according to the
denialist, his/her supporters, Faux News, and anyone else with a stake
in the false side of the debate, "They failed to address all of the
points brought up, so they lost the debate!"

Sometimes, the only correct response to this BS is to open your salvo
with, "This is all frakking bullshit, and I am not going to be nice
about it!" ;)

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {