POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is reading the sensors incorrectly Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:11:12 EDT (-0400)
  Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is reading the sensors incorrectly (Message 1 to 10 of 23)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is reading the sensors incorrectly
Date: 26 Feb 2011 11:14:19
Message: <4d6926db$1@news.povray.org>
So, with intensive POV-Ray work, I always like to open up speedfan and

(FREAKING HOT o_O! Normally they run about 50-60) I see no evidence of
CPU throttling down, though. But the even weirder thing I noticed was
the voltages. 1.2, 5, etc all seem to be fine and stable -12 comes in
around -15 and -16, and +12 seems to be all over the place, but never
anywhere near 12! When under high CPU load, it hovers around 5-6 volts,
and when the CPU is idle around 1-2v. (!)

The system is stable, seems to do the torture test fine, GPU operates
normally, and everything appears to be humming along normally.

I may need to pop the heat sink off the cpu, clean it off, and re-apply
some heatsink goop to get the temps down... All fans are nominal, there
was some dust collected on the filters on the case, but that has been
cleared off, airflow is great, it doesn't blow hot. Ambient temperature
does have a lot to do with it. After the AC kicked on (we've been warm
lately) CPU temps were arouns 85 under full load.)

The voltage is weird and disconcerting, though. I may wind up buying a
new PSU as an insurance policy. I don't want a temperamental power
supply trashing my CPU and motherboard.

Maybe the readings are just totally wrong?

Post a reply to this message

On 26/02/2011 4:14 PM, Mike Raiford wrote:
> So, with intensive POV-Ray work, I always like to open up speedfan and

Are you using SSLT?
I noticed that my laptop gets into the low 90's when using SSLT. About
the high 70's or low 80's normally.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 26/02/2011 4:14 PM, Mike Raiford wrote:
>> So, with intensive POV-Ray work, I always like to open up speedfan and

> Are you using SSLT?

Yep... using SSLT. wow. Wonder why that is. Yeah, running PassMark would
only warm the CPU up to about 68-70. So, maybe its just the case the POV
just really hammers the CPU.

Post a reply to this message