POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is reading the sensors incorrectly : Re: Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is reading the sensors incorrectly Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is reading the sensors incorrectly
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Feb 2011 14:03:58
Message: <4d694e9e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I think that's too much. Many systems I have seen have been configured
> for an immediate emergency shutdown if the CPU temperature exceed something
> like 85 degrees. (If it reaches those temperatures something must be really
> wrong. Maybe the CPU fan died.)

I tried the demo of The Ball on Steam, set it at full screen 1080, and the
machine powered down in about 3 minutes, apparently from overheating but I
didn't get any message to that affect on booting up again. Tried it again a
few hours later, windowed down to 800x600 and got about 10 minutes in before
it shut off again.

I think the graphics card may be underventilated (as all my slots are full),
but I've never had that problem with anything else (altho I can definitely
hear the fan spinning up when I'm gaming (at least other people's games)).
The GPU itself seemed rather scortching hot when I opened it up to check on
the dustiness.

I'm wondering if it's worth pulling the card out and visually inspecting the
surface and/or blowing it cleaner than I can with the card in place or
something.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"