POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is reading the sensors incorrectly : Re: Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is readingthesensorsincorrectly Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is readingthesensorsincorrectly
From: clipka
Date: 26 Feb 2011 14:38:50
Message: <4d6956ca@news.povray.org>
Am 26.02.2011 18:25, schrieb Stephen:
> On 26/02/2011 4:50 PM, Mike Raiford wrote:
>>> Are you using SSLT?
>>
>> Yep... using SSLT. wow. Wonder why that is. Yeah, running PassMark would
>> only warm the CPU up to about 68-70. So, maybe its just the case the POV
>> just really hammers the CPU.
>
> Aye, must be. I blame Clipa ;-)

You're making me bigger than I am :-) ("Lipa" is polish for lime
(linden) tree; "Lipka" is the deminuitive form; the "C" is from
"Christoph".)

As implemented in RC3, SSLT shoots about half of its rays only against
the SSLT object itself, which might result in fewer cache misses than
other ray-tracing computations. In addition, SSLT does a lot of math,
with many exp() and sin() and cos() and such, so the floating-point
units are probably running near full-throttle.

> I just downloaded HW Monitor to check and it reports the same
> temperatures. I suppose you could always reduce the duty cycle if it
> bothers you.

When I got my i7, I was worried about the high temperatures, too - but I
was assured by the local PC dealer that this was nothing to worry about,
since the i7 would self-throttle when in danger of overheating.
It doesn't - to the contrary, the cooling in my PC is apparently so good
that the CPU keeps overclocking itself even with POV-Ray blazing away.

Apparently the i7's temperature sensors measure the temperature at
totally different places than its predecessors. I heard that earlier
Intel CPU's measure the temperature of (or near) the heatsink, while the
i7 measures the core temperature.