POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is reading the sensors incorrectly : Re: Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is readingthesensorsincorrectly Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:28:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Either my computer's PSU has taken a dive, or SpeedFan is readingthesensorsincorrectly
From: clipka
Date: 26 Feb 2011 18:53:58
Message: <4d699296$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.02.2011 21:27, schrieb Stephen:

>> It doesn't - to the contrary, the cooling in my PC is apparently so good
>> that the CPU keeps overclocking itself even with POV-Ray blazing away.
>
> I've not seen my i7 laptop go into turbo

It may be disabled by the BIOS or chipset or whatever; after all,
typically Laptops go for low energy consumption, whereas turbo is going
for maxed performance.

>> Apparently the i7's temperature sensors measure the temperature at
>> totally different places than its predecessors. I heard that earlier
>> Intel CPU's measure the temperature of (or near) the heatsink, while the
>> i7 measures the core temperature.
>
> Any idea what the max working temperature is?

Not really. I think back then I found some information indicating that
around 90 degrees Celsius is a "healthy" upper value, but I can't give a
guarantee for that information.