POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DVD production... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:11:31 EDT (-0400)
  DVD production... (Message 1 to 10 of 37)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: DVD production...
Date: 20 Feb 2011 13:26:08
Message: <4d615cc0$1@news.povray.org>
Anyone know something cheap, that actually works, can, maybe, recode
things a bit to make them fit, if needed, and won't bloody crash on me?

Made a DVD a while back from the clips for Colour of Magic (thanks
britain, I love not being able to just buy this stuff some place...).
Its 22 segments, for a total of about 3 hours. So far I have tried:

Nero Recode + Super -  Super produces almost the same quality of video,
but I am short of space on my C drive (stupid choices made when setting
up the OS), and it doesn't let you set the temp folder any place but the
default C:/Windows/System/Temp... So, even if I go for a lower quality
copy, I can't translate it to VOB, so I can put it on the DVD.

Seemed to work, with each segment as a separate file (22 segments, for
about 3 hours), once recoded to fit, but I didn't try it in every
player, so when someone else borrowed it, it played on their computer,
but not their DVD player. Since Nero doesn't seem to bloody include
anything to a) combine them, b) burn more than one of the original mpgs
to DVD as VOB (assuming it even converts), or c) let you create any sort
of damn menu. Oh, and why the hell is the only frakking option in Nero
for creating things from other classes of files either "DATA", or
"VCD/Super VCD". They even have this listed under "create a DVD", or the
like, but the bloody thing a) doesn't list it as an option, and b) its
"make your own video", which lets you clip stuff together, won't produce
the same quality as the original (sigh..), and only saves to disk, not
to a DVD. It just drops you back to the menu, then lets you pick between
VCD/SuperVCD. If you don't same the video first, while in edit, after
editing, you can't even do that. Bad Nero! This is shitty design, and
confusing even to someone that has *some* clue what they are doing.

Tmpgenc - Can concatenate the original 1080p video into like 360p
(ugh..) Fails to play them, no matter settings used, in the updated
Windows Media Player, does in WMP Classic... See above for the result of
trying to use Super to convert to VOB (complete failure). According to
the site it comes from, I just wasted my money, because its encoder
sucks, tends to desync, and the "replacement" is like $100. :head desk:

DVDStyler - Had high hopes. Crashes at odd times. Failed when starting
to burn, without saying why exactly, then crashed again, when I tried to
remove some of the segments, and make 2 DVDs instead (on the chance that
was the problem). If they fixed the damn thing so it worked right,
warned you about some things, and didn't crash, this looks like it would
be a damn good one. That said...

Blaze Media Pro (test version) - Ate 90% of CPU time, took 6 hours, with
6 more to go, when I killed the process. O.o Slow much?

CopyToDVD - Don't remember, but it sucked too. Think it might have been
that it refused to support anything close to the original video
resolution, didn't include "cram to fit", and was almost as slow as
Blaze Media. I.e., shitty video, just like Tmpgenc.

Anyone know how the frak do you do this and have it not either drive you
nuts, take more time than a POVRay render with radiocity + IOR +
mirrors, maintain some semblance of video quality (hell, I would even go
for 720p at this point, if it bloody worked right, and the options to do
that where not just a list of sizes, and some option to pick aspect
ratio, I presume 720x576 16:9 is 720p???), and have the final result
*actually* play in things?

But, basically, so far, everything I have tried seems to suck at it.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();