POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DVD production... : Re: DVD production... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DVD production...
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 21 Feb 2011 03:43:09
Message: <4d62259d$1@news.povray.org>
Le 20/02/2011 20:44, Darren New a écrit :
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Its 22 segments, for a total of about 3 hours.
>
> I don't think you're going to fit three hours onto one DVD. Why not use
> two DVDs?

Well, a full-rate DVD (10 Mbits/s) would last about 60 minutes on a 4.4
GB DVD(-/+)R(W).

3 hours means an average encoding at 3.2 Mbits/s which is still possible
if you do not take more than a stereo sound and no fast scene change
(with a Mpeg2 encoder good enough for P & B frames).

A DVD-DL would be about 8.5 GB and hold 114 minutes at full rate. 3
hours would be fine with an average at 6.5 Mbits/s, which is rather good.

Now the question can be: is it really needed to have a true DVD format ?
Or can it just be a storage DVD with mpeg4 on it ?

--
Software is like dirt - it costs time and money to change it and move it
around.

Just because you can't see it, it doesn't weigh anything,
and you can't drill a hole in it and stick a rivet into it doesn't mean
it's free.