POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : DVD production... : Re: DVD production... Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DVD production...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 21 Feb 2011 12:21:51
Message: <4d629f2f@news.povray.org>
On 2/21/2011 1:43 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 20/02/2011 20:44, Darren New a écrit :
>> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>> Its 22 segments, for a total of about 3 hours.
>>
>> I don't think you're going to fit three hours onto one DVD. Why not use
>> two DVDs?
>>

> Well, a full-rate DVD (10 Mbits/s) would last about 60 minutes on a 4.4
> GB DVD(-/+)R(W).
>
> 3 hours means an average encoding at 3.2 Mbits/s which is still possible
> if you do not take more than a stereo sound and no fast scene change
> (with a Mpeg2 encoder good enough for P&  B frames).
>
> A DVD-DL would be about 8.5 GB and hold 114 minutes at full rate. 3
> hours would be fine with an average at 6.5 Mbits/s, which is rather good.
>
> Now the question can be: is it really needed to have a true DVD format ?
> Or can it just be a storage DVD with mpeg4 on it ?

Recoding is *supposed* to fix that, and did, except it then wouldn't
play on a DVD player. But, yeah, its a bit tight trying to fit that much
on a DVD. Need to look at splitting it where it was split already,
(think the originals where like two 1:30 shows), or just buy the damn
thing, now that I know where the hell to find it.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {