POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Realtime raytracing in javascript Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Realtime raytracing in javascript (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Realtime raytracing in javascript
Date: 19 Feb 2011 13:40:13
Message: <op.vq5x41zaufxv4h@xena>
I'm not sure if this has been posted before:

http://29a.ch/2010/6/2/realtime-raytracing-in-javascript

--
-Nekar Xenos-

"The spoon is not real"

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Realtime raytracing in javascript
Date: 20 Feb 2011 04:32:43
Message: <4d60dfbb@news.povray.org>
Le 19/02/2011 19:40, Nekar Xenos nous fit lire :
> I'm not sure if this has been posted before:
>
> http://29a.ch/2010/6/2/realtime-raytracing-in-javascript

4 spheres in the same plane, 1 cube for environment and a nice
texture_map... the old demo of reflective sphere on checkered plane was
quicker 25 years ago.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 9 Mar 2011 06:14:25
Message: <4d776111$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/02/2011 06:40 PM, Nekar Xenos wrote:
> I'm not sure if this has been posted before:
>
> http://29a.ch/2010/6/2/realtime-raytracing-in-javascript

Woo! 0 FPS. :-D

Still, it's kind of impressive that an interpreted language can do this
at all. Kind of like the way my sister's old laptop can run Doom under
Linux under a PC emulator under Windows XP, and it's *still* faster than
it was on a top-of-the-range 486DX when it was released...

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 9 Mar 2011 09:00:01
Message: <web.4d7787549db8ab788eebbb560@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> On 19/02/2011 06:40 PM, Nekar Xenos wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this has been posted before:
> >
> > http://29a.ch/2010/6/2/realtime-raytracing-in-javascript
>
> Woo! 0 FPS. :-D
>
> Still, it's kind of impressive that an interpreted language can do this
> at all.

javascript is JIT-compiled to native code in many modern browsers now, like
Chrome.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 9 Mar 2011 11:58:40
Message: <4d77b1c0$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> at all. Kind of like the way my sister's old laptop can run Doom under

I saw DOOM ported to run on a graphing calculator, running real time. Wild.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"

From: Invisible
Date: 10 Mar 2011 04:28:10
Message: <4d7899aa$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/03/2011 04:58 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> at all. Kind of like the way my sister's old laptop can run Doom under
>
> I saw DOOM ported to run on a graphing calculator, running real time. Wild.

I have a graphing calculator. I'm not sure if it's a Z80 or a 6502. What
I do know is that you can't program it. Oh, there is a "programming
language" for it, but all it allows you to do is automate a series of
key presses. That's *it*. You can't, for example, write a program that
generates a list of data, and then plot that data.

Still, what do you expect from Casio?

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 10 Mar 2011 04:48:02
Message: <4d789e52$1@news.povray.org>
> I have a graphing calculator. I'm not sure if it's a Z80 or a 6502. What
> I do know is that you can't program it. Oh, there is a "programming
> language" for it, but all it allows you to do is automate a series of
> key presses. That's *it*. You can't, for example, write a program that
> generates a list of data, and then plot that data.
>
> Still, what do you expect from Casio?

When I was finishing school (around 1998) the TI-86 was the most popular
calculator (I think our school got a special deal somehow and almost
every math/science student bought one).  You could program it directly
either in some BASIC-like language or assembler, or you could connect it
up to a PC to download stuff.  I remember someone wrote/ported super
mario for it, it took a while for the teachers to realise that people
had games on their calculators!

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 10 Mar 2011 05:21:08
Message: <4d78a614$1@news.povray.org>
>> Still, what do you expect from Casio?
>
> When I was finishing school (around 1998) the TI-86 was the most popular
> calculator (I think our school got a special deal somehow and almost
> every math/science student bought one). You could program it directly
> either in some BASIC-like language or assembler, or you could connect it
> up to a PC to download stuff. I remember someone wrote/ported super
> mario for it, it took a while for the teachers to realise that people
> had games on their calculators!

Yeah, I gather the TI calculators are the ones to have. Proper CAS
functionality, true programmability, and all sorts of other good stuff.
Same about the price tag, eh? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 10 Mar 2011 06:25:45
Message: <4d78b539$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/9/2011 7:57 AM, nemesis wrote:

> javascript is JIT-compiled to native code in many modern browsers now, like
> Chrome.

I'll tell you: it aint in firefox, that's for sure. If you want to bring
the browser to its knees, just load that page.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 10 Mar 2011 06:26:15
Message: <4d78b557@news.povray.org>
On 3/9/2011 10:58 AM, Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> at all. Kind of like the way my sister's old laptop can run Doom under
>
> I saw DOOM ported to run on a graphing calculator, running real time. Wild.

Aw, heck. My iPhone can run quake :P