POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unix shell Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Unix shell (Message 1 to 10 of 88)
From: Invisible
Subject: Unix shell
Date: 27 Jan 2011 05:33:20
Message: <4d4149f0$1@news.povray.org>
I've got a couple of Unix questions...

#1: Consider the following:

   ~$ /usr/bin/time --format="%C\n%E wall time, %P CPU, %M KB maximum"
./Prog1
   ./Prog1
   0:15.27 wall time, 89% CPU, 1608592 KB maximum

The program *actually* used about 400MB of RAM. So WTF is %M actually
measuring? Because it sure as hell isn't "maximum resident set size of
the process during its lifetime, measured in Kilobytes".

(Also, why do %D, %K and %X all return 0 for every program?)

More generally, how do I make time tell me HOW MUCH RAM WAS USED?

#2: You can compile a C++ program with

   g++ program.c++

However, for reasons beyond my comprehension, the result is always named
"a.out". You can tediously fix this using the -o option. Alternatively,
you can write a makefile:

   prog1: prog1.c++
     g++ prog1.c++ -o prog1

   prog2: prog2.c++
     g++ prog2.c++ -o prog2

   prog3: prog3.c++
     g++ prog3.c++ -o prog3

Is there any way of automating this absurd tedium?

Post a reply to this message