POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New CA Simulation Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  New CA Simulation (Message 1 to 10 of 88)
From: stbenge
Subject: New CA Simulation
Date: 30 Jan 2011 20:19:03
Message: <4d460e07@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I'm working with Processing and GLGraphics to produce various cellular
automata simulations. I've just found something worth sharing, and was
wondering if somebody might help me test it out. It requires Java and a
newish graphics card (GLSL, Pixel Shader 2.0+).

http://www.caltel.com/~abenge/index.html

You can draw bubble-producing explosions with the mouse. Tap inside a
medium-sized cell to "pop" it. The space bar clears the screen.

It will probably run blindingly fast on newer cards, slower if your card
is old, not at all if it's ancient. I get 30FPS on my GeForce 7600GS .
It would be faster, but I'm using 16-bit surfaces.

The simulation itself is based on an edge-finding technique combined
with diffusion and a method (developed with POV-Ray) for
pinching/expanding densities. As the field stabilizes, the result
resembles a minimal surface.

I was hoping to use something similar to make a suds effect for MilkDrop :)

Sam

Post a reply to this message

I get a note at the bottom saying "class not found: RDMinim"

(When you describe it, you might want to mention it's an applet and not a
stand-alone java program.)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     "That was fatal?"

> I'm working with Processing and GLGraphics to produce various cellular
> automata simulations. I've just found something worth sharing, and was
> wondering if somebody might help me test it out. It requires Java and a
> newish graphics card (GLSL, Pixel Shader 2.0+).
>
> http://www.caltel.com/~abenge/index.html

I just get a very small black square and nothing much happening (oh and
Java crashes when I try to close the webpage).

Sounds exciting though, can you post some screen shots?

Post a reply to this message