POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New CA Simulation : New CA Simulation Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:28:43 EDT (-0400)
  New CA Simulation
From: stbenge
Date: 30 Jan 2011 20:19:03
Message: <4d460e07@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I'm working with Processing and GLGraphics to produce various cellular
automata simulations. I've just found something worth sharing, and was
wondering if somebody might help me test it out. It requires Java and a
newish graphics card (GLSL, Pixel Shader 2.0+).

http://www.caltel.com/~abenge/index.html

You can draw bubble-producing explosions with the mouse. Tap inside a
medium-sized cell to "pop" it. The space bar clears the screen.

It will probably run blindingly fast on newer cards, slower if your card
is old, not at all if it's ancient. I get 30FPS on my GeForce 7600GS .
It would be faster, but I'm using 16-bit surfaces.

The simulation itself is based on an edge-finding technique combined
with diffusion and a method (developed with POV-Ray) for
pinching/expanding densities. As the field stabilizes, the result
resembles a minimal surface.

I was hoping to use something similar to make a suds effect for MilkDrop :)

Sam