POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Product Mysteries Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Product Mysteries (Message 1 to 10 of 79)
From: Invisible
Subject: Product Mysteries
Date: 25 Jan 2011 05:27:24
Message: <4d3ea58c@news.povray.org>
OK, so I ordered some more backup tapes, and inevitably the parcel that
arrived contains a big glossy flying for all the other stuff I could be
buying.

So I flick through it and go "hmm, that's interesting. You can buy an

down in price."

Some of the items are more amusing. For example, if you look at any LCD,
one of the main specs they will quote at you is the viewing angle.
Because, unlike other display technologies, LCDs typically have a
pitiful viewing angle. So manufacturers have sunk millions into R&D to
find ways to increase the viewing angle.

Ah, but what's this I see? A "privacy filter"? Yes, it's a small piece
of plastic which is transparent only when viewed from certain
directions. In other words, you stick it to your screen to reduce the
viewing angle. WTF, people!? :-D

Then we find products which are just mystifying. Specifically, there's a
video camera that caught my eye. Several very strange things are going
on here.

First of all, it's supposedly a video camera, and yet it costs less than

This is highly suspicious.

quality was laughable.

And that's where it starts to get stranger. This camera manages to claim
that it shoots full-HD 1080p video. But if you scroll past the big shiny
newsprint and look at the technical specifications, you discover that it
has a piffling 7mm lens.

Quite why anybody would pay for an expensive 2MP photosensor and then
stick it behind a crappy 7mm lens I have no idea. The only possible
justification I can think of is "so that we can scream 'full HD' all
over the box".

Damn, some poor sap is going to buy this thing and be mighty
disappointed with the image quality...

The other puzzling thing is that the device fits in the palm of your
hand. (From the price and the lens size, we already know what kind of a
product this is, i.e., an expensive novelty item.) It says it records to
flash RAM, but surely full HD is going to fill that within minutes.

The product spec also claims it stores video as H.264, which surprises
me. I was under the impression that this requires some pretty serious
computer power (most especially for encoding).

Oh, and it's purple. WTF?

Post a reply to this message

> The other puzzling thing is that the device fits in the palm of your
> hand. (From the price and the lens size, we already know what kind of a
> product this is, i.e., an expensive novelty item.)

A bit more expensive than you mentioned, but this company makes some
pretty cool small HD cameras for outdoor use:

http://www.goprocamera.com/

The video quality is pretty impressive, it's on my list.

> flash RAM, but surely full HD is going to fill that within minutes.

For 15 quid of SD card you can store 3 or 4 hours of full HD video.  And
you can always buy more SD cards.

> The product spec also claims it stores video as H.264, which surprises
> me. I was under the impression that this requires some pretty serious
> computer power (most especially for encoding).

There are various levels of compression, I imagine a low power device is
not using some of the more extravagant features that a desktop PC would
use to increase the quality:bitrate ratio.

Post a reply to this message

OK, that's pretty insane, right there. (Then again, nothing I'll ever do
will be cool enough to be worth filming, so...)

Also, it costs about 5x the price of this toy.

>> flash RAM, but surely full HD is going to fill that within minutes.
>
> For 15 quid of SD card you can store 3 or 4 hours of full HD video. And
> you can always buy more SD cards.

Spec claims it comes with a 4 GB flash card, but that's going to fill in
seconds I would imagine.

>> The product spec also claims it stores video as H.264, which surprises
>> me. I was under the impression that this requires some pretty serious
>> computer power (most especially for encoding).
>
> There are various levels of compression, I imagine a low power device is
> not using some of the more extravagant features that a desktop PC would
> use to increase the quality:bitrate ratio.

I was under the impression that the compression algorithm remains the
same regardless of what bitrate you select. Higher compression just
means that more of the data is discarded. The difference between, say,
Ogg Theora and WMV is the algorithm. Once you select an algorithm,
changing the bitrate just changes how much of the data gets kept.

Then again, I would think there's probably silicon for directly
computing DCTs and so forth by now...

Post a reply to this message