POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Product Mysteries : Re: Product Mysteries Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:11:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Product Mysteries
From: Invisible
Date: 25 Jan 2011 06:33:07
Message: <4d3eb4f3$1@news.povray.org>
On 25/01/2011 11:14 AM, scott wrote:

> http://www.goprocamera.com/

OK, that's pretty insane, right there. (Then again, nothing I'll ever do
will be cool enough to be worth filming, so...)

Also, it costs about 5x the price of this toy.

>> flash RAM, but surely full HD is going to fill that within minutes.
>
> For 15 quid of SD card you can store 3 or 4 hours of full HD video. And
> you can always buy more SD cards.

Spec claims it comes with a 4 GB flash card, but that's going to fill in
seconds I would imagine.

>> The product spec also claims it stores video as H.264, which surprises
>> me. I was under the impression that this requires some pretty serious
>> computer power (most especially for encoding).
>
> There are various levels of compression, I imagine a low power device is
> not using some of the more extravagant features that a desktop PC would
> use to increase the quality:bitrate ratio.

I was under the impression that the compression algorithm remains the
same regardless of what bitrate you select. Higher compression just
means that more of the data is discarded. The difference between, say,
Ogg Theora and WMV is the algorithm. Once you select an algorithm,
changing the bitrate just changes how much of the data gets kept.

Then again, I would think there's probably silicon for directly
computing DCTs and so forth by now...