POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Product Mysteries : Re: Product Mysteries Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Product Mysteries
From: scott
Date: 25 Jan 2011 07:00:02
Message: <4d3ebb42$1@news.povray.org>
> Also, it costs about 5x the price of this toy.

"HD Hero 960" is only $180, which is only about 50% more than your camera.

> Spec claims it comes with a 4 GB flash card, but that's going to fill in
> seconds I would imagine.

Spec also claims it fills a 32 GB card in 4 hr 21m.  So with the 4 GB
card I make that just over 30 mins.  If it was me I'd buy a couple of
16GB cards, 2hr recording time per card seems pretty decent.

> I was under the impression that the compression algorithm remains the
> same regardless of what bitrate you select.

You want some options to play with?  :-)

http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings

The only one I heard about was the motion estimation algorithm,
obviously the better it can detect motion between frame the less bits
are needed to get a certain quality level.  But there seems to be a load
more options to change stuff, in a battery powered device you would need
to carefully consider how much of an impact each had on battery life.