POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Product Mysteries : Re: Product Mysteries Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Product Mysteries
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 25 Jan 2011 09:41:39
Message: <4d3ee123$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/25/2011 6:11 AM, Invisible wrote:

> I was thinking more the problem of "how can we encode this fast enough
> to be realtime?" It's not like the device has an Intel Xeon quad-core in
> there, is it. From what I've heard, H.264 is very hungry for computer
> power. (Although, as I say, I imagine the really hungry bits probably
> have custom hardware acceleration in a device like this.)

Again... it doesn't need to ;) The signal processor is built for one
purpose: to change a stream of frames into a stream of H.264 encoded
data. If you build it with just that in mind, then you can meet the goal
of realtime compression, you don't need to worry about that chip being
able to run Windows 7 or Linux, or accessing various IO devices, or
doing your grandmother's taxes. You only need to worry about compressing
the data.

--
~Mike