POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Kindling (Message 151 to 160 of 520)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Kindling
Date: 18 Jan 2011 11:43:57
Message: <4d35c34d$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/01/2011 04:39 PM, Stephen wrote:
> On 18/01/2011 4:24 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> I'm guessing at least half are made-up words (since I'm reading sci-fi).
>
> That is a proble with SF.

Irony.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 18 Jan 2011 11:46:04
Message: <4d35c3cc@news.povray.org>
On 18/01/2011 4:00 PM, Neeum Zawan wrote:
> Stephen<mcavoys_at@aoldotcom>  writes:
>
>>> I love my Sony. The interface is really good.
>>
>> Me too!
>> The Sony software is Crap, IMO. I use Calibre exclusively.
>
> I use the Sony software only to buy stuff from their store.

get points. So I never use the Sony software at all.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 18 Jan 2011 11:47:19
Message: <4d35c417$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/01/2011 4:43 PM, Invisible wrote:
> On 18/01/2011 04:39 PM, Stephen wrote:
>> On 18/01/2011 4:24 PM, Darren New wrote:
>>> I'm guessing at least half are made-up words (since I'm reading sci-fi).
>>
>> That is a proble with SF.
>
> Irony.

No thick fingers. I've been all thumbs today.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Jan 2011 12:24:36
Message: <4d35ccd4$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 08:41:52 +0000, scott wrote:

>> Not for the Nook, as I can associate any Nook with my account and
>> access my content.
>
> Why remove the DRM then?

If I want to read using Calibre, I have to.  Or for convenience, in the
event that (for example) the credit card expires (which they do).  Since
the CC# is part of the hash used in the DRM scheme, if I have a lot of
books that I've purchased (which I do have, actually, though most of them
are free downloads from the B&N site), when I update the CC information,
I have to re-download all the books again.

So there's a convenience factor.

>> Making customers have to re-buy material because they lost access would
>> be very poor customer service indeed.
>
> Obviously they're not doing this on purpose, just that if there is some
> tiny chance that people would rebuy, whereas without DRM they wouldn't,
> then this would get factored in to the finances.

I can't help it if they make bad or faulty assumptions in their pricing
model.

Jim

Post a reply to this message