POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kindling : Re: Kindling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kindling
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Jan 2011 12:24:36
Message: <4d35ccd4$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 08:41:52 +0000, scott wrote:

>> Not for the Nook, as I can associate any Nook with my account and
>> access my content.
>
> Why remove the DRM then?

If I want to read using Calibre, I have to.  Or for convenience, in the
event that (for example) the credit card expires (which they do).  Since
the CC# is part of the hash used in the DRM scheme, if I have a lot of
books that I've purchased (which I do have, actually, though most of them
are free downloads from the B&N site), when I update the CC information,
I have to re-download all the books again.

So there's a convenience factor.

>> Making customers have to re-buy material because they lost access would
>> be very poor customer service indeed.
>
> Obviously they're not doing this on purpose, just that if there is some
> tiny chance that people would rebuy, whereas without DRM they wouldn't,
> then this would get factored in to the finances.

I can't help it if they make bad or faulty assumptions in their pricing
model.

Jim