POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think not everything is quantized Server Time
3 Sep 2024 11:28:46 EDT (-0400)
  I think not everything is quantized (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Warp
Subject: I think not everything is quantized
Date: 10 Jan 2011 16:25:25
Message: <4d2b7945@news.povray.org>
If I have understood correctly, for example an eletron orbiting an atom
does not have a precise position, but instead there exists a probability
function around the atom where the electron "is" at any given moment.
The probability is highest at a certain distance from the nucleus, but
extends well beyond that (even though obviously sharply reducing in
probability the farther from the atom we get).

  Also, if I have understood correctly, there's no bound to this probability
function. In other words, in principle the electron could be anywhere in
the entire universe at any given moment (although the odds get staggeringly
small when we get even slightly away from the atom.)

  So this got me thinking: That means that the probability function itself
cannot be quantized (because it would drop to zero after getting smaller
than the unit quant of "probability"). In other words, the probability
function itself is contiguous, not quantized.

  If this is so, it goes against the notion that basically *everything* in
this universe is quantized.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message