POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think not everything is quantized : Re: I think not everything is quantized Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think not everything is quantized
From: scott
Date: 11 Jan 2011 11:16:05
Message: <4d2c8245$1@news.povray.org>
>    If I have understood correctly, for example an eletron orbiting an atom
> does not have a precise position, but instead there exists a probability
> function around the atom where the electron "is" at any given moment.
> The probability is highest at a certain distance from the nucleus, but
> extends well beyond that (even though obviously sharply reducing in
> probability the farther from the atom we get).
>
>    Also, if I have understood correctly, there's no bound to this probability
> function. In other words, in principle the electron could be anywhere in
> the entire universe at any given moment

Assuming the universe doesn't have infinite volume, that would mean
there are only a finite number of positions in space the electron could
be in - something like the volume of the universe divided by the planck
volume.  If you know the shape of the probability function, you could
probably figure out the minimum amount of non-zero probability.  But
that wouldn't necessarily mean it was quantized though.