POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I think not everything is quantized : Re: I think not everything is quantized Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think not everything is quantized
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Jan 2011 17:31:18
Message: <4d2b88b6$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> summing in smaller and smaller and
> smaller probabilities of something happening.

BTW. By this, I mean that you say "How can the electron get from A to B?"

Well, it could go in a straight line. That's the main factor.

Or it could absorb some photon from somewhere else on the way at point C in
between, change direction, and end up at B.

Or it could emit a photon at point C, and end up at B.

Or it could absorb a photon at C, emit one at D, and end up at B.

Etc etc etc.

Each emit/absorb interaction happens with about the probability of 1/137,
which is the "charge" of the electron. So you don't have to go too far to
get a good number of decimal places. That last step adds about one part
error per 18,000, so one decimal place out of 5 or so. (Quarks have a much
higher "charge", like 1/8 IIRC, so you have to run the calculation out lots
of steps before you get similarly good results arithmetically.)

But if you add up *all* those probabilities, for *every* possible C or D or
etc, everything goes to infinity. If you stop after any number of
interactions (i.e., assume space is discrete), the math says you get a
really close answer. But if you add up *all* theoretical interactions
(taking the limit as the distance between C and D goes to zero), the answers
make no sense.

Now I know what you're saying. Even if space was quantitized to one inch,
assuming an open universe, there should be places sufficiently far away from
your starting point that the probability is arbitrarily close to zero.

However, it all works out OK if space is both quantitized and finite; then
you get quantitized probabilities as well.

Or maybe the probability actually does go to zero far enough from the
electron. I'm not sure what relativity says about electrons moving faster
than light over significant distances. It may be that sufficiently far from
the atom, the probability of the electron being there is absolutely zero,
just like the probability of two electrons in the same quantum state being
in the same place is absolutely zero.

I'll have to ask a friend I know who is a practicing theoretical physicist.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion: