POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Molecular biology Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Molecular biology (Message 251 to 260 of 465)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Molecular biology
Date: 14 Jan 2011 05:10:48
Message: <4d302128@news.povray.org>
> The technical term for that is a 'hidden variable theory'; the variable
> has a value except we don't know it. Bell has shown that if the universe
> can be described by a hidden variable theory some measurable quantities
> have different values than if the variable has no value until measured.
> Alain Aspect has shown that nature is incompatible with a hidden
> variable theory. So Darren is right, and you, Einstein, Podolsky, and
> Rosen are proven wrong. Nothing to be ashamed of, I'd say.

Does that prove that there is nothing "running" our universe - ie it's
not some computer simulation inside another far more complex universe?

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 14 Jan 2011 06:35:56
Message: <4d30351b@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   It's just that defining "species" in terms of behavior is ludicrous.

> Well, give a definition that shows two men are the same species, that a
> bacteria's descendants are the same species, and that these two populations
> of fruit flies are the same species.  What exactly has to be in the genetics?

  I don't think you get it. What I said is that the claim "two groups of
animals have been speciated away from each other if they won't interbreed
because of instinctual preference" (rather than their genes being
incompatible) is an incorrect definition.

  You can't argue pro that definition with the argument "well, you can't
give a better definition". That argument coulud be used to defend anything.
"Two groups of animals are of different species if they have a different
fur coloring."

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message