POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Molecular biology Server Time
9 Oct 2024 19:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Molecular biology (Message 116 to 125 of 465)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Molecular biology
Date: 10 Jan 2011 16:39:01
Message: <4d2b7c75$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/9/2011 8:44 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> if the universe isn't logically consistent than science would have to
>> be wrong on a huge scale,
>
> I don't think so.
>
>> You would need to.. have an inconsistent universe, which never the
>> less, managed to be consistent on the large scale only. Like..
>> statistically stable, but completely unstable on the basic level.
>
> We have that already. It's called quantum mechanics. :-)
>
>> Mind, this wouldn't preclude it being consistent, it would only mean
>> that events where not predictable on the smallest scale, but that the
>> law of averages/big numbers both made it consistent once you had
>> enough events to look at.
>
> Again. :-)

But.. This only seems to be the case, isn't certain, and its not so
random you can't create conditions where one result is **way** more
probable than another. Still not "inconsistent".

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 10 Jan 2011 16:40:36
Message: <4d2b7cd4$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/9/2011 8:57 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Think we may be talking about different things here... The idea I am
>> talking about is that you programmaticaly do the equivalent of:
>
> Well, if you're talking about logical reversability, sure. But that's
> not all that much more interesting than memoization.
>
>> 1 + 2 + 4 * 5 = result
>> roll back to 1 + 2
>> 3 * 10 + 5 = result
>
> Pulling out the result is irreversible.
>
>> The point of the idea being that if you do not have to "turn on" a
>> switch, only shut some off, the cost is lower.
>
> That's not how it works. You have to drive the circuit backwards. You
> don't just turn off parts of it, as that's irreversible too. Unless
> you're talking about "logical reversibility", which isn't what I'm
> talking about.

Yeah, what I was talking about was a programmatic attempt at applying
logical reversibility. The stuff you are talking about is completely
different.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: andrel
Date: 10 Jan 2011 16:56:25
Message: <4D2B8090.9000304@gmail.com>
On 10-1-2011 13:16, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> Well, there are plenty of other plants that are so mutated that they are
>> now incapable of reproducing for themselves but for some special animal
>> that farms them. (I might mention, for example, the fungi that
>> leafcutter ants culture, for example.) The natural world is full of
>> complex partnerships such as this. I don't think you could call the
>> banana "unatural".
>
>    Well, many people seem to think that anything that is man-made (or only
> possible because of human intervetion) is by definition artificial and
> unnatural (and hence obviously harmful).

Yes over-population is one of the biggest problems.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 10 Jan 2011 17:07:08
Message: <4d2b830c$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> But.. This only seems to be the case, isn't certain,

It's as certain as anything. There's actually experimental evidence that
it's not only unknowable, but actually random. We *know* it's not just a
limitation in our knowledge or what we're measuring, but that the
measurements really aren't even there until we look.

 > and its not so
> random you can't create conditions where one result is **way** more
> probable than another.

Only statistically. For any given single interaction, the probability is
always the same.  In QED, that's called "charge".

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Serving Suggestion:

From: Darren New
Date: 10 Jan 2011 17:08:10
Message: <4d2b834a@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Yeah, what I was talking about was a programmatic attempt at applying
> logical reversibility. The stuff you are talking about is completely
> different.

Logical reversibility hasn't anything to do with saving energy, altho it
might have something to do with speeding up computations. obviously, logical
reversibility is a necessary precursor to physical reversibility.

From: Darren New
Date: 10 Jan 2011 17:12:11
Message: <4d2b843b@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   (I read somewhere that recently Barack Obama decided to announce the
> National Day of Prayer, or something like that,

The "national day of prayer" has been around since we were fighting the
godless communists (I kid you not) in the 1950's, passed by Congress at the
time. That's the same time we got "under god" added to "one nation under
god" in the pledge of allegiance.  Given that Obama keeps referring to
atheists in all his speeches (which ticks off the religious folks) I would
guess (without a cite) this is at least as much a lie as half the other
things said about him.

From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jan 2011 04:35:39
Message: <4d2c246b$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/01/2011 06:22 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> You seriously expect me to believe
>
> That's a terrible argument. "I couldn't imagine how something as complex
> as predicting the future that way could have happened" is just as bad an
> argument as "I couldn't imagine how hemoglobin came about."

OK, well how about chaos theory? That puts hard bounds on what can and
cannot be predicted. I should imagine that over the course of 4 billion
years, one single stray photon would probably be enough to perturb the
system sufficiently that it wildly diverges from your predictions. So
you'd have to predict solar activity too. (Not to mention random stray
comets colliding with Earth.)

On top of that, the effect of living organisms themselves is
significant. So in order to work out what what types of organisms you
need to design, you need to know what environments will be available,
which *depends on* what types of organisms you design.

Seriously, you don't need to be a chaos theory expert to see that all of
this is wildly impossible. (Not forgetting that the original premis is
already impossible because the number of species wildly exceeds the
information content of the first genomes.)

Now, Behe put forth the idea of "irreducible complexity". The idea being
that a system is irreducibly complex if removing any single component of
it breaks the system. Such systems, Behe asserted, cannot evolve.

Of course, that's a bit like buying a car, removing the engine
management system, observing that the car no longer works, and arguing
that the car cannot have been invented before computer technology became
available. Which, obviously, is absurd.

Then again, that's not *quite* the same, since the designs of artificial
devices can make sudden jumps. Evolution, in general, can't do that.

Dawkins showed that irreducibly complex systems can in fact evolve. For
example, suppose protein A exists, and does something useful. Now
suppose that a protein B comes along, which makes protein A slightly
more efficient. Assuming whatever A does is beneficial, doing it better
is obviously something that natural selection would favour.

What happens next is that A and B co-evolve. Any change in B which
enhances its effect on A would tend to be favoured. Any change in A
which enhances the effect of B on it would also tend to be favoured.
Fast-forward a few million generations and I wouldn't be at all
surprised if we now have a situation where A doesn't even *work* any
more without B.

In other words, the system has become irreducibly complex. And of
course, there's no particular reason why a protein C can't join the
party at some point along the smooth continuous route to irreducible
complexity. And then we would have 3 interrelated proteins that only
function in combination with each other.

Behe also chose an unfortunate example of an irreducibly complex system:
a cellular motor. He pointed out that it's a complex of 9 proteins, and
removing any one of them breaks the motor, so therefore it could not
have evolved. Except that somebody recently discovered a parasite that
uses just 2 of these proteins to make holes in the cell walls of its
host. So those 2 proteins on their own do something useful. They don't
make a motor, but they /are/ useful (for something slightly different).

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jan 2011 04:41:13
Message: <4d2c25b9$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/01/2011 05:03 PM, Warp wrote:

>    The theory of evolution != the theory of life's origins.
>
>    The theory of evolution says nothing about how life first came into
> existence on Earth. That would be abiogenesis.

Quite. And while the theory of evolution is universally accepted,
abiogenesis is essentially still at the stage of "well, we've got some
ideas, but basically nobody /really/ knows".

>    Basically the only thing that the theory of evolution postulates is that
> the genes of large populations change over time (something even the most
> hardcore young-earth creationists don't deny) and that some changes get
> preserved while others disappear due to natural selection (again, something
> the creationists don't deny). That's about it.

Evolution asserts that species are not fixed; they /change/. And so the
species we see today were not always there. And, in particular, not so
much evolution itself, but molecular evidence says that all life on
Earth has a single common ancestor.

That's about as much as evolution itself actually says about the origin
of life; that life didn't originate as twenty billion species, but as
just one. (Actually, it was probably a handful of species; it's just
that only one of them left descendants. As far as we know.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jan 2011 04:54:59
Message: <4d2c28f3$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/01/2011 06:32 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> Actually I think you'll find it's that all tetrapods are descendants
>> of a single fish ancestor, which just happened to have 5 digits. By
>> now it would be far too difficult to change it.
>
> Sure. But we grew lungs, and new digestive systems, and homeostasis,

Just about every living organism has homeostasis. I presume you mean
*temperature* homeostasis?

> scales and skin and fur and feathers, wings and hooves and talons, but
> we still all have five fingers, including the animals whose fingers are
> in a stiff and unbending mitten of cartilage. Look at the vast range of
> shapes out there, and tell me that it makes sense that none of them got
> rid of the pinky finger, or put on another bone somewhere.

Right. So what you're saying is that it's unusual that 5 digits is a
conserved feature?

Well, horses and similar have finger/toe bones fused together. But then,
actually the anatomy of a horse leg is quite interesting. A human arm
has two straight bits, a wrist and then a bunch of fingers. In a horse,
the first straight bit is actually inside the body, the second straight
bit is the top of the visible leg, and the remaining bones of the leg
are actually what would be knuckle and finger bones in a human. Weird.

I suspect what it boils down so is that there's no specific reason why
some number other than 5 would be an advantage, so it hasn't changed.
(This of course doesn't rule out random "neutral" changes I suppose...)

> No, that's the point. From what I read, you'd only have to change one
> gene. Except it's a gene in the middle of *another* sequence as well,
> which regulates development of the reproductive system.

Well, if that's the case, I haven't read about it myself. I would
suggest though that something like this would require changing many,
many genes, all at the same time, which is why it doesn't happen.

(Oh, you can probably make it happen by changing one of the cellular
differentiation genes, which tell cells "where they are". But that would
probably break stuff all over the place. Indeed, these genes tend to be
extremely highly conserved.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jan 2011 04:56:34
Message: <4d2c2952$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/01/2011 06:32 PM, Darren New wrote:

> It's entirely possible to teach adults. :-)

You haven't met my work colleges...